[sci.military] Navy Accidents...

gwh%sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (11/02/89)

From: gwh%sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
	In the last few days the US Navy has had one of those
statistical clumps of accidents that drive Admirals up the
Bulkhead.

	Sunday: a Training plane crashes aboard USS Lexington,
killing five.

	Monday: A F-18 doing practice bombing accidentally
hits the CG Reeves with a Mk 82 500 lb bomb.  Bow damaged,
five injuries.  [in indian ocean] Reports indicate that the
bomb was fuzed for superquick (instantaneous) detonation, and
the damage would have been much worse had it penetrated
into the ship before detonating.

	Tuesday:  Two incidents:
	USS Eisenhower:  Three sailors and 38 air to air missiles
($4.5 million) washed off a elevator while they were being raised
onto deck.  Two sailors recovered from water within an hour, one
still missing and presumed dead.
	USS Carl Vinson: Sailor falls overboard and is not recovered.
Cause unknown.

It's been a bad week.

[mod.note:    The Eisenhower accident seems pretty odd...  that must have
been some wave !  Is it routine to operate the elevators in such weather ?
- Bill ]

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu [maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu, but i don't check mail often]

djenner@Sun.COM (Doug Jenner) (11/03/89)

From: djenner@Sun.COM (Doug Jenner)
In article <11026@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

[mod.note:    The Eisenhower accident seems pretty odd...  that must have
>been some wave !  Is it routine to operate the elevators in such weather ?
>- Bill ]

NPR reports that the swells were 4-6 ft. when the accident occured.  This
is considered `moderate' seas and shouldn't cause any disruption to carrier
Ops.  Apparently the the wave that swept the elevator was a freak and was
therefore completely unexpected.

Doug Jenner
djenner@sun.com

tarquin@zen.co.uk (Ian Mitchell ) (11/09/89)

From: tarquin@zen.co.uk (Ian Mitchell )

In article <11071@cbnews.ATT.COM> djenner@Sun.COM (Doug Jenner) writes:
:
:In article <11026@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
:>
:[mod.note:    The Eisenhower accident seems pretty odd...  that must have
:>been some wave !  Is it routine to operate the elevators in such weather ?
:>- Bill ]
:
:NPR reports that the swells were 4-6 ft. when the accident occured.  This
:is considered `moderate' seas and shouldn't cause any disruption to carrier
:Ops.  Apparently the the wave that swept the elevator was a freak and was
:therefore completely unexpected.

I find all this surprising.  Don't ships have lookouts any more?  Just where
could the wave have come from?

Tarqs [the maritime]

pierson@cimnet.dec.com (11/10/89)

From: pierson@cimnet.dec.com

in part:
>:NPR reports that the swells were 4-6 ft. when the accident occured.  This
>:is considered `moderate' seas and shouldn't cause any disruption to carrier
>:Ops.  Apparently the the wave that swept the elevator was a freak and was
>:therefore completely unexpected.
>
>I find all this surprising.  Don't ships have lookouts any more?  Just where
>could the wave have come from?
..

There is, i believe, a phenomenon formally known as "the freak wave" (defined
as "larger than whats running), it's not simply a phrase.  This is dredged out
of a Scientific American article read long ago.  Origins of such waves were
unknown at that time.  I suspect that even if such a wave were spotted, there
would be little that could be done, with the ships rigged together

thanks
dave pierson			|The facts, sometimes fuzzily remembered,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01742				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com