[sci.military] Early US BB names

military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (11/11/89)

From: military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)

Here's one that's bugged me for some time.  Maybe someone can clue
me in.

BB-1 Indiana
BB-2 Massachussetts
BB-3 Oregon
BB-4 Iowa
BB-5 Kearsarge
BB-6 Kentucky
BB-7 Illinois
BB-8 Alabama
BB-9 Wisconsin

Something doesn't fit... 8-)

Kearsarge is an old "classic" name in US warship history.  Previous to
BB-5, an 1862 vessel had carried the name, and in 1944, it was given to
an Essex-class carrier.

So what in the blazes is a Kearsarge ?  Person, place, or thing ?  And
why its significance ? This is the only name ever given a battleship other
than a state name.

--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--
Bill Thacker   Moderator, sci.military  military-request@att.att.com
(614) 860-5294      Send submissions to military@att.att.com

spencert@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Thomas Spencer) (11/14/89)

From: spencert@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Thomas Spencer)
[Author lost]
[Stuff deleted]

>Kearsarge is an old "classic" name in US warship history.  Previous to
>BB-5, an 1862 vessel had carried the name, and in 1944, it was given to
>an Essex-class carrier.
>
>So what in the blazes is a Kearsarge ?  Person, place, or thing ?  And
>why its significance ? This is the only name ever given a battleship other
>than a state name.

There's a mountain in New Hampshire called Mt. Kearsarge.  It's not a
very impressive moutian, so I don't know why anyone would name a ship
after it.  (Maybe both it and the ships were named after something
else.)

			-Tom Spencer
			 spencert@turing.cs.rpi.edu
			 uunet!steinmetz!itsgw!spencert
"First figure out what you are trying to do."  -Me.