[sci.military] Linear implosion in nuclear weapons?

dcn@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (david.c.newkirk) (10/28/89)

From: dcn@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (david.c.newkirk)

I have seen a reference to a linear implosion technique using conventional
explosives to trigger a fission or fusion explosion.  Does anyone know if
any such weapons were ever successfully tested?  The basic idea is the same
as spherical implosion, except in a cylindrical shape.  A rod of fissionable
material surrounded by a hollow cylinder of high explosives might work, but
I'm skeptical about the fusion version.  This design is more adaptable to
fitting into small artillery shells and rockets.
--
				Dave Newkirk, att!ihlpm!dcn

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/30/89)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
Well, this is a possible method, but it _still_ gives larger
weapons than gun-type bombs.

Despite advances, from what i can tell most nukes are still
the gun type, colliding two pieces.

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (10/30/89)

In article <10711@cbnews.ATT.COM>, dcn@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (david.c.newkirk) writes:
> I have seen a reference to a linear implosion technique using conventional
> explosives to trigger a fission or fusion explosion....  The basic idea
> is the same as spherical implosion, except in a cylindrical shape.

I've never heard of a linear implosion technique based on conventional
explosives (which isn't to say it doesn't exist, of course); however,
H-bombs do use a linear implosion as a crucial part of their design.
(The following explanation is taken from Richard Rhodes' ``The Making
of the Atomic Bomb'', which I highly commend to anyone interested in
the subject.)

If you use a straight-forward fission bomb to set off a thermonuclear
explosion, it doesn't work; the shockwave starts to ignite the fusion
reaction, but blows it apart too soon.  Instead, H-bombs depend on the
fact that X-rays from the fission explosion propagate much faster than
the shockwave.  Imagine the following configuration.  At one end of a
cylinder, you have a spherical implosion-based fission bomb.  The case
of the cylinder is made from U-238; a bit away from the fission
trigger, you have several cylindrical layers.  The outermost one is a
dense plastic foam; the next layer in is more U-238, followed by
lithium-6 deuteride, followed by a central core of plutonium.

			**
		       ****	<--- fission trigger
			**

When the fission trigger detonates, it produces X-rays.  The outer
shell of U-238 helps reflect these back into the plastic foam.  The
foam is instantly heated by the X-rays; it immediately expands
explosively as a plasma.  This causes an implosion in the inner layers,
compressing the Li-6 D mixture and the Pu core.  Several things start
happening now.  The plutonium is compressed to critical mass as well,
causing another fission reaction.  The flux of neutrons from it (and
from the original trigger reaction) causes the Li-6 to produce tritium
(and, I assume helium, which is unimportant here); under the pressure
of the imploding plastic and exploding plutonium, the tritium and
deuterium fuse, liberating vast amounts of heat and more neutrons.  And
these neutrons in turn initiate more fission in the normally-inert
U-238.  The whole thing is known as a fission-fusion-fission bomb.

The idea of using the plastic foam in that way is apparently due to Ulam;
Teller's original designs just wouldn't work.  He did, however, come
up with the concept of the central plutonium core.

>From the picture in the book, the whole thing is shaped to fit very
well into a bomb.  The presence of more tritium would presumably speed
up the fusion reaction; modern weapons do in fact use tritium.  In
fact, some of them can be ``tuned''; by varying the amount of tritium
actually in the bomb, the yield can be varied in the field.

		--Steve Bellovin
		smb@ulysses.att.com
		att!ulysses!smb

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (11/01/89)

From: mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger)

In article <10744@cbnews.ATT.COM> smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:

>In article <10711@cbnews.ATT.COM>, dcn@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (david.c.newkirk) writes:
>>From the picture in the book, the whole thing is shaped to fit very
>well into a bomb.  The presence of more tritium would presumably speed
>up the fusion reaction; modern weapons do in fact use tritium.  In
>fact, some of them can be ``tuned''; by varying the amount of tritium
>actually in the bomb, the yield can be varied in the field.
>		--Steve Bellovin
>		smb@ulysses.att.com
>		att!ulysses!smb

That reminds me, take a look at this story off of the AP newswire:

"An Energy Department laboratory in Tennesee lost a significant amount of
radioactive tritium in a test shipment between two lab buildings, raising the
possibility of foul play, governmental records show.

Ironically, the secret test was done as a part of an internal investigation
into troubling discrepancies in the amount of tritium shipped from the Oak
Ridge National Laboratory at Oak Ridge, Tenn., to commercial buyers.

Tritium supplies are classified by teh government.  The material is produced
in Energy Department reactors in South Carolina for use in nuclear warheads,
although small amounts are sold to domestic and foreign companies.

No explanation could be found for the tritium lost in the test shipment,
according to a report Wednesday."

Wonderful, just wonderful.
Paul Deisinger

--
My other .sig is a porche.  Boongawa.

annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J Annala) (11/11/89)

From: annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J Annala)

The idea that fusion weapons depend on xrays or styrofoam/plastic is
totally FUBAR.  The fact is that when the fission device used as the
trigger is detonated a whole lot of neutrons is released.  The next
stage of the device (the actual fusion weapon) consists of a uranium
wrapper around a lithium6-deuteride core.  The initial neutrons make
the Li6D convert to tritium-deuterium (T-D) and cause fast fissions
in the uranium wrapper.  The fast fissions generate heat causing the
uranium wrapper to expand (both away from and toward the Li6D core).
The expansion toward the core compresses the T-D to fusion pressure
and temperature.  The T-D burns releasing additional fast neutrons.
These new neutrons cause additional fast fissions in the uranium
wrapper.  The cycle repeats and the wrapper holds the core together
until the fuel in the core is completely burned.

xrays and styrofoam/plastic are more or less irrelevant to the process.

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. De Armond) (11/14/89)

From: rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. De Armond)

In article <11336@cbnews.ATT.COM> annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:

>From: annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J Annala)
>
>The idea that fusion weapons depend on xrays or styrofoam/plastic is
>totally FUBAR.  The fact is that when the fission device used as the
>trigger is detonated a whole lot of neutrons is released.  The next
>stage of the device (the actual fusion weapon) consists of a uranium
>wrapper around a lithium6-deuteride core.  The initial neutrons make
>the Li6D convert to tritium-deuterium (T-D) and cause fast fissions
>in the uranium wrapper.  The fast fissions generate heat causing the
>uranium wrapper to expand (both away from and toward the Li6D core).
>The expansion toward the core compresses the T-D to fusion pressure
>and temperature.  The T-D burns releasing additional fast neutrons.
>These new neutrons cause additional fast fissions in the uranium
>wrapper.  The cycle repeats and the wrapper holds the core together
>until the fuel in the core is completely burned.
>
>xrays and styrofoam/plastic are more or less irrelevant to the process.

This is a joke, right?  Just in case it is not.  Sir, would you care to
explain how the neutrons in your scenario would reach the fusionable fuel
before the gamma/X/thermal radiation destroy it considering that fast neutrons
are not relativistic?  Or how elastic collisions between the neutrons
(which can approach the density of molecules in the structure) and the
resultant disruptive heating is going to be controlled long enough to allow
the fusion reaction to start?  Or could you explain how uniform ignition
along a rod of fusionable material is going to be accomplished (remember
neutron transit time)?  Magic?

Perhaps you have access to much more highly classified material than I and
therefore know some secret that I don't.  I doubt it.  If you do, you
could probably explain why most of the weapons in the arsenal contain
this big FUBAR?  Or why a large facility exists for the express purpose
of fabricating X-ray mirrors?  Or why the government continues intense
research into improving the efficiency of X-ray mirrors?  You could
probably save all us taxpayers a lot of money.

Tell us more.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You