[net.auto] BF Goodrich TA blowouts

brad@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Brad Spear) (04/05/84)

In article <6585@uiucdcs.UUCP> falken@uiuccsb.UUCP writes:

>   I bought 4 of those nice BF Goodrich TA's about a year and a half
>ago.  2 days later, the two on the passenger side blew up when I hit
>a pothole in the Lake Tahoe area going approx. 30 mph.  Granted,
>they stick very nicely.  But as a warning to prospective buyers, they
>also blow up quite nicely too.

But not always.  In 1976 I was driving down an dim street at about 25-30.
With the fact that standard headlights don't always light the road well, the
pothole I didn't dodge bent the frame of the car, but my 6 month old TAs held
together.  However, I did blow one when I was coming back from San Francisco
the next year.  I'm not sure what caused it, there weren't any potholes in I-
5, and the sidewall was ripped.  Thank the powers that be for recirculating
ball and power steering, I had no trouble handling the front wheel blowout.

Other than that, I have never had any problems with TA Belted (are radials
better or worse?) tires, which I have used exclusively since the summer of
1976.  I haven't even had to patch any of them.  I think that sooner or later,
many people will get a bad set of tires, whatever brand.

The real test I suppose, is for people who live on gravel roads.  From
experience, I know that gravel can chew up tires real quick.  My first TAs
only had a month and a half of that torture.

Brad Spear
sdcrdcf!brad