[sci.military] Nuclear Powered Planes: Feasibility?

miles@ms.uky.edu (Stephen D. Grant) (11/04/89)

From: "Stephen D. Grant" <miles@ms.uky.edu>

Hi folks. While absorbing some concepts in my national security class,
it was mentioned that back in the 60's the concept of a nuclear powered
aircraft was on the drawing board. However there seemed to be some problem
with putting a reactor aboard an aircraft. (Something to do with the weight
of the reactor?) Can anyone else add to this topic as to why such a
development is not possible, or cite any research that has been done with
Nuclear Powered aircraft?

Thanks
Miles

             "I've had a few optional extras installed.." - 007

 Stephen D. Grant, "Miles"            "Go ahead - It's your Quarter." -Me.
 miles@s.ms.uky.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: "Stephen D. Grant" <miles@ms.uky.edu>
>it was mentioned that back in the 60's the concept of a nuclear powered
>aircraft was on the drawing board. However there seemed to be some problem
>with putting a reactor aboard an aircraft...

The idea continues to percolate in a small way.  A few years ago I saw a
design sketch of a nuclear-powered fighter (!).  The problems are still
roughly the same as they were when the original nuclear-aircraft ideas
were abandoned.  Adequate shielding for the crew weighs an awful lot.
Keeping shielding weight within the bounds of sanity requires shielding
*only* the crew, i.e. the nose, which makes servicing etc. very awkward.
There are serious problems with the aftermath of crashes... and *all*
military aircraft crash sometimes.  And in general, the complications
and weight penalties don't seem worth the range and endurance increase.

Back in the 40s and 50s, the idea did look worth pursuing.  But more
conventional jet aircraft got a lot better pretty quickly, and flight
refuelling extended their range quite effectively.  Turbofan engines
were the death blow; the B-52H, with early turbofans, has endurance of
24+ hours and range of 12000+ miles *without* refuelling.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia) (11/06/89)

From: nuchat!steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia)

>From: "Stephen D. Grant" <miles@ms.uky.edu>
>it was mentioned that back in the 60's the concept of a nuclear powered
>aircraft was on the drawing board. However there seemed to be some problem
>with putting a reactor aboard an aircraft. (Something to do with the weight

The biggest technical problem was the weight of the shielding.  The
non-technical problems should be easy to imagine, but I'll mention
two:  The capital cost of the plane limited the number that could be
built, and the Navy had a strong nuclear propulsion recruiting and
training program that the AF would have had to compete with for the
qualified candidates.

The idea was ultimately dropped when in-flight refueling was shown
to be tactically feasible.  It has the advantage of using one basic
system to extend the range and loiter time of all platforms, and of
making smoking, as opposed to glowing, holes when something goes wrong.

You have to remember that the public and scientific appreciation for
the dangers of radiation did not happen all at once.  Between the time
the idea of a nuclear powered aircraft became marginally practical and
the time it was ready to think about deployment our ideas about nuclear
power changed radically.

The history of in-flight refueling is pretty colorful.  An article in
one of the early issues of Air&Space described an endurance record
effort in the '30s in which the test plane, a Ford tri-motor I think,
was refueled by passing a hose from a hole in the floor of another
plane and catching it from a hatch in the cabin roof of the Ford.

But it wasn't clear that it could be done as a routine component
of military missions until fairly recently.  Once that was proven
the disadvantages of nuclear propulsion left little room for
continued development.

As a side note, the idea of a nuclear-heated balloon has been
floating around in sci.space recently as a possible configuration
for exploring the gas giants.  One could imagine nuclear propulsion
making a comeback in the context of the radar balloons being deployed
in the War on Drugs, or perhaps for a flying command post in a worst
case nuclear war scenario.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277

melkor@wpi.wpi.edu (The Lord of Mordor) (11/06/89)

From: melkor@wpi.wpi.edu (The Lord of Mordor)

In article <11113@cbnews.ATT.COM> miles@ms.uky.edu (Stephen D. Grant) writes:
>development is not possible, or cite any research that has been done with
>Nuclear Powered aircraft?

Back in the late 50's through the 60's the AF toyed with the idea of an
A-plane, but several problems, both technical and political stopped it's
development. Technically, they could not come up with a safe enough shielding
that could still takeoff. Secondly, political pressures and considerations,
(such as, "I don't want to be in office if radioactive stuff falls on my
constituents!"), not to mention non nuclear countries, (imagine the problems
we have with New Zealand and our nuke ships and other countries with our
warplanes), totally blackballed the project. There was a definitive article
on the A-plane in Scientific American a few years ago.

melkor@wpi.wpi.edu
(skippy sez:)"I DIDN'T SAY IT,
IT WAS MY EVIL TWIN, GEORGE BUSH"

gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner) (11/06/89)

From: gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner)
I had a professor who worked on that project.  He stated that the
project was doomed from the beginning for the following reason.
The supporters of the nuclear plane stated that the chances of
people being harmed by radiation from one of the planes crashing was
minimal due the such a small portion of the Earth's surface being
populated.  The problem with this line of reasoning was that the
statistical distribution of a group of airplanes' time in flight is not
uniform over the globe.  A higher percentage is over populated areas
than un-populated areas.  Furthermore, takeoffs and landings, the point
in flight where virtually all crashes occur, are always over populated
areas.  Thus WHEN one the planes crashed, it would most likely crash
into a populated area.

I am not sure whether this is the official line on why the program
was cancelled, though.

David Gardiner
U of Minnesota Computer Science Department

pierson@cimnet.dec.com (11/07/89)

From: pierson@cimnet.dec.com

>Hi folks. While absorbing some concepts in my national security class,
>it was mentioned that back in the 60's the concept of a nuclear powered
>aircraft was on the drawing board. However there seemed to be some problem
>with putting a reactor aboard an aircraft. (Something to do with the weight
>of the reactor?) Can anyone else add to this topic as to why such a
>development is not possible, or cite any research that has been done with
>Nuclear Powered aircraft?
>
>Thanks
>Miles

	Running, as usual, from memory...

Both the US and the Soviet Union had extensive programs to develop nuclear
fission powered a/c.  The Soviets (reportedly) actually flew one.  The US
flew and operated a test reactor in a B36(?).  The concerns (US Side) were
more around safety than reactor weight per se.  When there was a crash, there
would have been extensive release of fission products.  (There are a number
of maxims about flight safety involving planning for WHEN you crash.  not
IF, When....).

There were other problems, providing adequate shielding for crew, surrounding
population (near the base...), and turning the power from the reactor into
useful thrust.  Most systems for THAT seemed to involve multiple conversions of
the energy (and hence, inefficiency).  I have a "fun" book (title escapes
me...) from the late '50s/early '60s that was a quasi governmental public
relations effort for the program.  A good library, or luck in a used book
store is recommended.

The "mission" was also unclear, bar just doing the plane for the challenge,
and because this was the era of the nuclear powered rocking chair (almost).
The ability for a strategic force to be on-the-air "constantly" avoiding being
hit on the ground, and the elimination fuel problems on strategic missions
come to mind.

thanks
dave pierson			|The facts as accurately as i can remember,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|The opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01742				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com

steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia) (11/08/89)

From: nuchat!steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia)

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>were abandoned.  Adequate shielding for the crew weighs an awful lot.
>Keeping shielding weight within the bounds of sanity requires shielding
>*only* the crew, i.e. the nose, which makes servicing etc. very awkward.

My father-in-law has done several "nucular" things, including sitting
on a NRC lisencing board for a while.  I asked him about this and
sure enough he knew a bit about it.  He even told me some of what he
knew about it :-)

Anyway, a point that hasn't been mentioned is that having only
the crew shielded meant that the bad guys could throw away all
those IR and semi-passive radar missile guidance systems.  Forget
stealth, radio silesnce, all that good stuff.  Might as well
go in with bullhorns blaring your favorite inspirational music
because you aren't going to surprise anyone with a geiger counter.

He indicated that the scientists working on the project were baffled
by the beurocratic mentality that thought there was any point in
working on the idea.  Nevertheless, a plane did fly with a reactor
on board.  It may or may not have been producing power at the time
but it was a functional reactor.  It didn't fly very many times though
and apparently never without at least some chemical propulsion.
--

jlk@boron.siesoft.co.uk (Jim Kissel) (11/11/89)

From: Jim Kissel <jlk@boron.siesoft.co.uk>

Dr. Richard (Dick) Feynman is the orginator of the nuclear powered
plane.  Back in the early 40's while he was working on the bomb
the goverment wanted to patent "ALL" the nuclear "ideas" and he
was told to submit a patent for a nuclear powered plane.  Details
can be found in his book  "Surely you must be joking Mr Feynman"

Jim Kissel                            Telephone +44 734 691994
Siemens plc                                         734 443046 (Direct line)
Systems Development Group             Fax       +44 734 698847
65-73 Crockhamwell Rd.                Telex      846053 SIESOF G
Woodley, Reading                      Domain     jlk@siesoft.co.uk
Berkshire, RG5 3JP                               j.kissel@xopen.co.uk
Great Britain                         UUCP       ....{ukc,athen}!siesoft!jlk

jwm@stda.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (11/17/89)

From: jwm@stda.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt)
}From: pierson@cimnet.dec.com
}There were other problems, providing adequate shielding for crew, surrounding
}population (near the base...), and turning the power from the reactor into
}useful thrust.  Most systems for THAT seemed to involve multiple conversions of
}the energy (and hence, inefficiency).  I have a "fun" book (title escapes
}me...) from the late '50s/early '60s that was a quasi governmental public
}relations effort for the program.  A good library, or luck in a used book
}store is recommended.

See "Nuclear Flight".  I don't recall the author.  One of the more interesting
problems was protecting the ground crew.  The plane could heft the
shadow shielding for the crew, but the surroundings were irridiated.

}The "mission" was also unclear, bar just doing the plane for the challenge,
}and because this was the era of the nuclear powered rocking chair (almost).
}The ability for a strategic force to be on-the-air "constantly" avoiding being
}hit on the ground, and the elimination fuel problems on strategic missions
}come to mind.

Turns out you can make a real, real fast and real real small aircraft carrier
with the same dimensions.  A few fighters anywhere fast...

--
"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain"
					- Pliny the Elder