[sci.military] escorting convoys

siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne) (11/15/89)

From: siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne)

How does the Navy intend to escort convoys?  There aren't that many
supercarriers.  Recent postings have led me to suppose that fleets
of Backfires will sweep all surface ships (but supercarriers) from
the ocean, and nuclear subs will do in the carriers.  Sounds grim.
So was Billy Mitchell just a little premature?
	Paul Jayne

frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn) (11/20/89)

From: Frank Dunn <frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk>
In article <11429@cbnews.ATT.COM> siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne) writes:

> From: siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne)
>
> How does the Navy intend to escort convoys?  There aren't that many
> supercarriers.  Recent postings have led me to suppose that fleets
> of Backfires will sweep all surface ships (but supercarriers) from
> the ocean, and nuclear subs will do in the carriers.  Sounds grim.
> So was Billy Mitchell just a little premature?
> 	Paul Jayne

The USN would use Frigates as close escorts. There has been some lengthy
playing around with variations on protecting shipping, the protected lane is
one. In this there would be a defined lane in which groups of ships would
proceed independently. Local escorts would patrol it with towed array Frigates
on the outer periphery. Within this lane would roam the current equivalent
of WW2 hunter killer groups - small ASW carriers. Up threat would be SSNs
in predefinded areas along with the big carriers, to take care of the air
threat and subs penetrating the lane. Would it work? Given the co-ordination
over a wide area it would require and the benefits of the closely grouped
convoy? It does allow the hunters to hunt but as ASW is certainly more
difficult than it was 5 years ago it spreads limited assets over a very
wide area.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not