[sci.military] Spider Silk

willey@arrakis.nevada.edu (James P. Willey) (11/08/89)

From: James P. Willey <willey@arrakis.nevada.edu>

	I was watching Newton's Apple on the local PBS station and they
mentioned something interesting.  They claimed that the military uses
spider silk, especially from black widows, to make crosshairs.  What
weapons use spider silk and why do they use it?

James P. Willey              willey@arrakis.NEVADA.EDU
Disclaimer:  I'm unemployed, so my employer IS responsible for my opinions.

I wish someone would call time out,
They're welcome to disarm me,
We are the very model of
A modern techno-army.
                                         (Robotech)

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (11/14/89)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <11224@cbnews.ATT.COM> willey@arrakis.nevada.edu (James P. Willey) writes:

>From: James P. Willey <willey@arrakis.nevada.edu>

[query about spider silk deleted]

at one time the reticles in binoculars and sniper scopes were made from
silk... i don't know if it was spider silk... and i surely don't know
if it was sepcifically black widow silk.

it would appear that it is possible... i believe spiders spin a finer thread
than silk worms thus providing a finer reticle.

i also believe the reticles in spotting scopes for the 106 RR may have been
silk... i didn't get to look through them too many times.

the marine corps was using redfield and unertl [inertl? sp?] scopes on their
sniper rifles when i left... you can check with either of those companies
to see what they use.  the redfield was 3x to 9x variable and similar
to the "WIDEFIELD" [tm] scopes.  the unertl's were 10x fixed.

FREE EASTERN EUROPE!   TEAR DOWN THE WALL!

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tear down the wall!                                                  ***
*** -- Roger Waters, Pink Floyd                                             ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

mmm@apple.com (11/18/89)

From: portal!cup.portal.com!mmm@apple.com
I also have heard that black widow spider silk is commonly used for
rifle scope crosshairs.  I once knew a person working on an invention
for a new type of scope, and he told me that a cross hair is made by
picking up a spider, touching the tip of its abdomen to the rim which
supports the crosshairs, stretching it over to the opposite side and touching
the rim over there, then repeating the process for the other crosshair.

Spider silk is both strong and thin.  It also comes in its own applicator.
I don't know what specific feature of black widows makes them desirable for
the job;  maybe its time to cross-post to sci.bio.

daveme%tekirl.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Dave Mead) (11/21/89)

From: Dave Mead <daveme%tekirl.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

Cross-hairs in many early rifle scopes were made of Black Widow
silk because of its high strength and fine diameter. Dot reticule
scopes suspended a laquer drop on the nearly invisible strands. Later
optical designs went to etched glass or other materials for cross-hairs.
I am sure Kevlar strands now  surpass spider silk for tensile strength,
but before that they were the strongest fiber of that size. I doubt they
are still used and Newton's Apple was citing dated material.

					Dave Mead
					Tektronix Labs