[sci.military] Bushmaster

janf@nada.kth.se (Jan Frelin) (11/15/89)

From: janf@nada.kth.se (Jan Frelin)

I saw a picture of something called the
"Bushmaster" gun. (Model pic, actually).

What is this? It locked like it could an
Auto GrenadeLauncher, but I thought the
US had given those up. It was mounted
on a Hummer.
	/Jan Frelin

mayse@cs.uiuc.edu (Chip Mayse) (11/18/89)

From: Chip Mayse <mayse@cs.uiuc.edu>
I heard (about ten years ago) of a gun by this name; I think it was a
fully-automatic cannon of about 25 mm bore and European origin.  I
didn't realize the US had bought any.

     Chip Mayse
     cmayse@ncsa.uiuc.edu

[mod.note: this gun received some mention in the 1976 _Jane's Armored
Fighting Vehicles_, by Christopher Foss.  It was the proposed production
armament for the XM723 Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle (which was
dropped, and replaced by the Bradley).  Foss claims it was developed by
the "Aeronutronic Ford Company".   It was also considered for the
XM800 armored recon vehicle project, in either 20mm or 30mm. - Bill ]

scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron) (11/20/89)

From: scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron)

In article <11427@cbnews.ATT.COM>, janf@nada.kth.se (Jan Frelin) writes:

> I saw a picture of something called the
> "Bushmaster" gun. (Model pic, actually).

> What is this? It locked like it could an
> Auto GrenadeLauncher, but I thought the
> US had given those up. It was mounted
> on a Hummer.
The 9th Inf Div (Motorized) (Ft. Lewis, WA) has several Humvees fitted with
a 40mm automatic grenade launcher.  But I don't believe it is called a
"Bushmaster".  It's swivel mounted above the cab in the 9ths troop-carrying
Hummers and is operated by one of the troops in the back, similar in concept,
if not in appearance, to the way MGs were mounted in WWII jeeps.

Its one of those unique items (like the trailer-mounted Chaparral missile)
that is unique to the 9th, and will probably fall by the wayside if/when the
9th fully converts to mechanized.

--
S.D. Cameron   | "...the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear  |  AOPA | 50 yrs
Univ. of Wash. | arms shall not be infringed." -- U.S. Const.  |      -+-

random@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA) (11/22/89)

From: random@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA)

>From article <11546@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron):
>

> From: scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron)
>
> In article <11427@cbnews.ATT.COM>, janf@nada.kth.se (Jan Frelin) writes:
>
>> I saw a picture of something called the
>> "Bushmaster" gun. (Model pic, actually).

When I was looking for a couple collector-style military firearms, I
ran across a pistol in the Gun Digest annual catalog called the
Bushmaster. It chambered .223 ammo like the M16, took M16 clips
which inserted BEHIND the trigger/handgrip (I saw one at a gun
show in semi-auto version. They wanted $500 for it.) and was
designed to be cradled in the arm and fired from the hip (sort-of).
It had sights, but I could think of no good way to use them.
Hope this helps.

	Random

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (11/24/89)

From: Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
The following was some information recently sent to the firearms mailing
list. Since the subject of the Bushmaster pistol appeared in the
"sci.military" mail Digest, I thought it would be worthwhile to submit a
copy of this info. Random's posting mentioned that he didn't know how it
is held or how the sights are used, and this covers that:

(The context of this was a discussion of the Australian Automatic Arms
.223 semi-auto pistol which has been advertised in recent issues of Shotgun News
and which is basically a cut-down semi-auto rifle.)

The .223 semi-auto pistol, like the Australian Automatic Arms and Bushmaster
models mentioned in preceeding postings, grew out of a design that was
originally implemented in caliber .221 Fireball as an aircrew survival weapon,
as SHUEE cited.

That was created as a bullpup design, with the shooter's forearm acting as a
stock, thus creating a very compact weapon, easily stowed in the aircraft
survival kit.  The pistol-grip and trigger assembly swiveled to the right or
left about 30 degrees or so, which let the body of the gun and the magazine
lie on the outer side of the shooter's forearm whether he used the right or
left hand.  Provisions were made for switching the ejection to either side,
sort of like the way the Steyr AUG does now.  That let it eject to the side
away from the arm. The shooter extends his shooting arm and can clasp the rear
section of the pistol and his forearm with the hand of the non-shooting
arm for extra support, if desired. Holding the gun up at eye level, then,
allows the sights to be used -- they are on the rotating portion so are
always up and vertical.

The original survival gun was a really neat toy; I was able to see it in a
non-firing demonstration during Vietnam when I worked at the Army Aviation
Systems Command -- one was brought in to show to the people in the crash
survivability office there and I was able to sit in on the session.  It really
fit the arm comfortably and steadily, and was a well-constructed firearm.
Unfortunately, I just cannot recall the name -- does anyone remember it?

Bushmaster adopted the design (or bought out the inventor, or the inventor
founded Bushmaster -- I'm not sure which) and scaled it up to .223.  At that
point, reliability problems set in.  Bushmaster also used the same action to
build a conventional rifle that looked somewhat like an AR-15 from the
outside, but had a different action.  I had thought that Bushmaster went out
of business after a relatively short time, but I recall seeing models of their
rifles for sale as new, stocked items in Shotgun News ads not all that long
ago (maybe a year or two?); maybe they were still in business, or maybe that
was stock on the shelves that just had never sold.

This Australian Auto Arms model doesn't have any of the bullpup or swivel
features, and appears to be a cut-down assault rifle (though, to meet BATF
standards, I suppose it was actually constructed on a slightly different
receiver).  The ad doesn't mention "Leader", but I take it from SHUEE's
reference to that brand that this is basically the Leader rifle action?
Leaders disappeared some time back, long before the current anti-semiauto
activity.  I find it interesting that it is being imported these days and
didn't get banned.  Also that it is marketed by a California company...

It certainly looks like a great toy, but I'm finding it hard to figure
out just what it would be best used for. The muzzle blast must be
something fierce! .223 has too much penetration for this to be all that
great at bowling pin shoots and I don't think small bullets at high
velocity are very useful for falling-plate matches. I notice from
the ad that it appears to have a bayonet lug. Maybe its for protection
from Jimmy-Carter-type killer rabbits? After you fire off all 30 rounds
you can fix a bayonet to keep them from swarming into your boat... :-)

I'd like to see somebody run one of these thru the New York City
pistol-permit process... :-)

Regards, Will