[sci.military] New CV names

brumbles%hal.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (J.Bryce Rumbles) (11/22/89)

From: J.Bryce Rumbles <brumbles%hal.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>

catch the name)'s question as to the names of CVNs 71
through 74, _Jane's_Fighting_Ships,_1988-89_ said the
following:

Number    Name        Laid Down     Launched      Commissioned

CVN 71  Theodore
          Roosevelt   13 Oct 81     27 Oct 84     25 October 86

CNV 72  Abraham
          Lincoln      3 Nov 84     13 Feb 88     December 89*

CVN 73  George
          Washington  25 Aug 86     16 Sep 89     December 91*

".... _Theodore_Roosevelt_ (CVN 71) was delivered in October
1986, 16 months earlier than the original schedule.
"In his statement accompanying the proposed FY 1988-89 budget,
then Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger announced that
the Navy would be seeking $1.441 billion in those two years
for long-lead items for two additional 'Nimitz' class carriers,
one of which would replace _Midway_ and the other a 'Forrest-
al' class carrier which would be over 45 years old by 1999.
This proposal took Congress by surprise, since the then Sec-
retary of the Navy John Lehman had announced in early 1986
that the Navy would not request funding for long-lead items
for a new CVN until 1992."
                                 --copyright 1988 by Jane's
                                   Publishing Co., LTD,
                                   238 City Road, London
                                   EC1V 2PU, England

There is no mention in this, the most recent edition of _Jane's_
I've seen, of a CVN 74 by name, or even by that alphanumeric
designation.

What do you thing the chances are they'll let the people name
CVN 74?  Didn't they do that during WWII occassionally - not
for capital ships, but I think some Liberty ships were named
by contest, perhaps as War Bonds gimmicks.

I'd like to see another _Kearsarge_, personally.

Bryce Rumbles (another bloody first-timer!)

brumbles@hal.unm.edu

Disclaimer: Any resemblence to the opinions of the University
of New Mexico's Board of Regents is strictly coincidental, and
regretable.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (11/24/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <11640@cbnews.ATT.COM> brumbles%hal.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (J.Bryce Rumbles) writes:

>There is no mention in this, the most recent edition of _Jane's_
>I've seen, of a CVN 74 by name, or even by that alphanumeric
>designation.

I seem to recall a USNI Proceedings article giving the name
"John Stennis" to CVN 74.

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696