[sci.military] battles

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (12/01/89)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)

      [stuff deleted].....

>It would be interesting to compile  a  list of battles that  were won by
>one side doing  something the  other thought  was physically impossible.
>Besides Dien Bien Phu and the Ho CHi Minh trail, other examples include
>
>- Burgoyne getting guns up a mountain overlooking Ft. Ticonderoga,
>- some Mainers doing the same thing to Ft. Louisburg on Cape Breton Is.
>	in the 17th century,
>- the Germans driving tanks through the Ardennes.
>- Patton moving so fast in the Battle of the Bulge.
>
>--
>						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
 How about U.S.S. Yorktown being severely damaged in the Battle of
 th Coral Sea, then being right smack in the middle of the Battle of
 Midway just a few days later (only to be sunk, of course). The
 Japanese thought she was too severely damaged to even be considered
 close to "operative", much less take part!

 ---

Mark Aldo                                      (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo
>From the Internet:                                 waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center     | 614-238-5811
DSAC-ZTB, P.O.Box 1605, Columbus, Ohio (USA) 43216     | AV  850-5811
All views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.