[sci.military] Request for pointers

norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norm Finn) (12/04/89)

From: ames!ultra!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norm Finn)
For the purpose of interactive simulation [all right, game playing :-)]
I would like to find the repertoire of easily transmissible signals
available to naval fleet commanders in the period 1600-1920.  The
primary medium would, of course, be flag hoists.  I'm familiar with the
types of signals, "follow me line ahead," "simultaneous turn 3 points
to starboard," etc., but I want the whole list in detail.  Ideally,
someone could point me to a library or book dealer who has a copy of
one or more actual signal books from this era.  Another possibility
would be a pointer to some naval equivalents of the type of
commercially printed manuals common for army training throughout this
period.  Even a specific reference to a secondary source would be much
appreciated.  -- Thanks in advance (reply directly to me, of course)

Norm Finn                       domain:   norm@ultra.com
Ultra Network Technologies      Internet: ultra!norm@ames.arc.nasa.gov
101 Daggett Dr.                 uucp:     ...ames!ultra!norm
San Jose, CA 95134
(408) 922-0100

dyson@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson) (12/05/89)

From: dyson@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark l dyson)

In article <11919@cbnews.ATT.COM> ames!ultra!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norm Finn) writes:

>For the purpose of interactive simulation [all right, game playing :-)]
>I would like to find the repertoire of easily transmissible signals
>available to naval fleet commanders in the period 1600-1920.

I, too, would dearly love to accumulate this list.  18th century naval warfare
is one of my most passionately-held vices, but I have not been blessed with the
time to accomplish all the research I would like.  Help, please?
(please reply to address 71341.77@compuserve.com as I will be away from the
INTERNET for a few weeks.)  Thanks.

Peace
-Mark-