[sci.military] NR-1

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (12/05/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <11916@cbnews.ATT.COM> rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) writes:
>	comment about a nuclear sub that is nomenclated:  NR-1 ?????

The NR-1 is a small, nuclear "research sub" designed for deep diving
and driving around on the sea floor. (It actually has wheels.)
Apparently, at least according to the popular press, it has been used
to retreive items off the sea floor, like Phoenix missiles from a
crashed F-14.

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696

sasdvp@mcnc.org (David V. Phillips) (12/08/89)

From: sas!sas.UUCP!sasdvp@mcnc.org (David V. Phillips)

>The NR-1 is a small, nuclear "research sub" designed for deep diving
>and driving around on the sea floor. (It actually has wheels.)
>Apparently, at least according to the popular press, it has been used
>to retreive items off the sea floor, like Phoenix missiles from a
>crashed F-14.

I need to be careful about what I write about NR-1, since I've worked
with it in a support role, and don't want to get in trouble, but here goes.
NR-1 does indeed have wheels, and a manipulator arm also.  It has a very
small, but elite crew (when I worked with it, the CO was a full commander,
with a crew of about 20.)  It also has to be towed everywhere it is going
to work, which makes for very annoying duty for ASR (Submarine Rescue) ships.
:-)

NR-1 is listed in _Jane's Fighting Ships_ , at least the last time I looked.

Dave Phillips, (ex)LT, USN
USS Kittiwake (ASR-13)  (the 'Greenpeace Rammer' )
1979-1982
--
David Phillips  sasdvp@sas.UUCP   ...!mcnc!rti!sas!sasdvp
"My gun *IS* controlled!"