[sci.military] Shoulder-fired SAM's

mayse@cs.uiuc.edu (Chip Mayse) (12/08/89)

From: Chip Mayse <mayse@cs.uiuc.edu>
In the "Yom Kippur War" of 1973, the Israeli Air Force experienced a number
of incidents in which infrared-homing SAM-(7's, I think) struck the tailpipes
of IAF McDonnell Douglas A-4's.  Often all that happened was that the SAM
blew a hole in the tailpipe, which probably decreased total engine thrust
a bit but nothing more.  If the SAM is to be fairly portable and handy,
it can't have a very heavy warhead, so its lethality is thereby limited.

Henry's point (about missile-launch reaction time) is well taken, too.  I've
seen USAF test footage (taken at Eglin AFB) of high-speed (about 550 knots),
low-altitude weapon deliveries against ground targets.  From the time the
planes (F-100's and 105's, mostly) appeared as dots on the horizon until the
entire vicinity of the camera was plastered with napalm and fragmentation
bombs was typically only two or three seconds.  If this becomes a common
ground attack mode--as it can with weapons-delivery systems which use
accurate target- and aircraft-positioning data--the effectiveness of
small SAM's should be diminished.  They're probably most effective against
planes loitering about and looking around, rather than making quick, well-
planned runs.

     Chip Mayse
     cmayse@ncsa.uiuc.edu

clallen@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Charles L Allen) (12/09/89)

From: clallen@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Charles L Allen)

	I have recently seen some tape where the narator suggested
that the Mujahadeen had considerable problems with the Stinger
missile, mainly because it had an annoying tendancy to never
launch when the trigger was pulled,  Does anyone else know anything
about this???  Is the narrator wrong, or perhaps overblowing a
couple of incidents??

CHAz--
			CLALLEN@rodan.acs.syr.edu
		  	   RSCLA@suvm.bitnet

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Chip Mayse <mayse@cs.uiuc.edu>
>In the "Yom Kippur War" of 1973, the Israeli Air Force experienced a number
>of incidents in which infrared-homing SAM-(7's, I think) struck the tailpipes
>of IAF McDonnell Douglas A-4's.  Often all that happened was that the SAM
>blew a hole in the tailpipe, which probably decreased total engine thrust
>a bit but nothing more...

Which is why modern Israeli A-4s have extended tailpipes!  They've also
offered this simple survivability mod commercially; I've been rather
surprised that none of the other Skyhawk operators have taken it up.
It's a trifle unsightly, but it's an effective way to keep the missile
warhead just a bit farther away from the engine.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

pmorriso@uunet.UU.NET (Perry Morrison MATH) (12/12/89)

From: munnari!gara.une.oz.au!pmorriso@uunet.UU.NET (Perry Morrison MATH)

In article <12171@cbnews.ATT.COM>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
> >From: Chip Mayse <mayse@cs.uiuc.edu>
> >In the "Yom Kippur War" of 1973, the Israeli Air Force experienced a number
> >of incidents in which infrared-homing SAM-(7's, I think) struck the tailpipes
> >of IAF McDonnell Douglas A-4's.  Often all that happened was that the SAM
> >blew a hole in the tailpipe, which probably decreased total engine thrust
> >a bit but nothing more...
>
> Which is why modern Israeli A-4s have extended tailpipes!  They've also
> offered this simple survivability mod commercially; I've been rather
> surprised that none of the other Skyhawk operators have taken it up.
> It's a trifle unsightly, but it's an effective way to keep the missile
> warhead just a bit farther away from the engine.

	I believe that when the sam-7 was first used in vietnam, it was highly
effective against helicopters (especially CH-47's) and that many choppers
had a "stove-pipe" added to their exhaust so that the missile warhead would
mostly destroy a piece of pipe rather than turbines, people etc. Same principle
I guess.
	On A-4s, the Israelis did very neat mods including avionics refits and
a nifty smoke diffuser that electrostatically diffused exhaust smoke. This is
a problem on many A-4s and makes them easier to track (F-4s are even worse).
	On the issue on Sam effectiveness, there's no doubt that (amongst
other air defences) they help provide a threat environment that forces CAS
aircraft to go low and fast, thereby minimising their effectiveness. The answer
is to use expensive aircraft with terrain follwing radar or other naviagational
capabilities that allow them to come onto a target and hit it first time, low
and fast (e.g. the PAVETAC system on F-111s). The problem is of course that
these planes are very expensive and losses in CAS are very high- every now and
then even a stray round will bring one down and at say $40m per unit, that
gets mighty expensive mighty fast.
	This is an issue we face in Australia. We operate 75 F/A 18s and
the most likely threat (from where?) is low level- squads of people hiding
in the bush and blowing up the occasional thing.Are we really going to use
F/A 18s to hit the odd truck/person? Sounds like a classic technology
differential.

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (12/13/89)

From: wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr)

In article <12171@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Henry Spencer said:

> > [discussion of SAMs detonating on tailpipe impact rather than engine
> > impact and thereby doing only cosmetic damage.]
>
> Which is why modern Israeli A-4s have extended tailpipes!  They've also
> offered this simple survivability mod commercially; I've been rather
> surprised that none of the other Skyhawk operators have taken it up.
> It's a trifle unsightly, but it's an effective way to keep the missile
> warhead just a bit farther away from the engine.

I think you just answered your own question: the world's full of
procurement officers who wouldn't be caught dead purchasing any
aircraft that came with mods that made it look less cool...