[sci.military] nuclear powered ships

siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne) (11/30/89)

From: siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne)

The subject of nuclear powered surface ships has come up in other
contexts, but not as a direct topic.  The idea of nuclear powered
submarines is too clear to question, but I'm curious about surface
ships.  The navy has had lots of experience by now.  Do nuclear
ships pay for themselves in fuel savings (vs. reactor maint.) alone?
What are the other advantages -- more time on station?  What about
disadvantages?  At what point does ship size become a factor?
And so on.
	Paul Jayne

bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (thomas.w.basham) (12/01/89)

From: bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (thomas.w.basham)

>From: siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne)

>The subject of nuclear powered surface ships has come up in other
>contexts, but not as a direct topic.  The idea of nuclear powered
>submarines is too clear to question, but I'm curious about surface
>ships.  The navy has had lots of experience by now.  Do nuclear
>ships pay for themselves in fuel savings (vs. reactor maint.) alone?
>What are the other advantages -- more time on station?  What about
>disadvantages?  At what point does ship size become a factor?
>	Paul Jayne

>From what I've read, CVNs are the big winner.  The space gained
by not having to carry fuel for the ship makes more room for fuel
for the aircraft, weapons, etc.  I suppose any nuclear powered ship
would have more available space than it's conventional counterpart.

Tom
--
Tom Basham      AT&T Bell Laboratories    (312) 979-6336
att!ihlpb!bash

kpk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kenneth.p.kretsch..jr) (12/01/89)

From: kpk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kenneth.p.kretsch..jr)

>From what I remeber from  a talk at Bell Labs some years ago...
Over it's lifetime, the cost of a nuclear aircraft carrier is a few
percentage points greater that of a conventional one. The advantage,
I think, is less down-time for refueling. There where other advangates
but I don't remember them. I suppose a nuke power plant a fuel load
is considerably smaller and lighter, in the end, than a conventinal one.
--
Ken Kretsch
...!att!bubba!kpk

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (12/01/89)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <11822@cbnews.ATT.COM> siyt@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (p.jayne) writes:

>The subject of nuclear powered surface ships has come up in other
>contexts, but not as a direct topic.  The idea of nuclear powered
>submarines is too clear to question, but I'm curious about surface
>ships.  The navy has had lots of experience by now.  Do nuclear
>ships pay for themselves in fuel savings (vs. reactor maint.) alone?
>What are the other advantages -- more time on station?  What about
>disadvantages?  At what point does ship size become a factor?
>And so on.

Whether they pay for themselves is a Bookeeping question.  No, on fuel,
because it is expensive to refine uranium, but when you consider the
infrastructure for petroleum storage and transportation it comes closer
to parity.  THe reactor is much more expensive to start with, though.

Operationally, a Nuclear ship can spend lots more time on station...
more in fact than you want to do [crew sanity] in peacetime.  Big
atvantage.  THere are no big disatvantages, the plant is on same
rough level of power output per pound and volume as other types.
[Somewhat heavier, if i remember correctly].

Reactor size and scaling problems mean that it's best to use bigger plants.
The current sub reactors are pretty much the smallest economical
installation.  You can get smaller, but it isn't worth it usually.

All the above from Freshman Intro to Naval Architecture class here, and
memory may be a bit muddled.  \

George William Herbert   UCB Naval Architecture [On schedule? at UCB? Yes!]
gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu gwh@soda.berk... maniac@garnet.berk...
"And what if I Don't?"
"Then, You will die, the Girl dies, everybody dies..."
					-Heavy Metal

rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) (12/04/89)

From: Bob Beville <rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

	Along these nuclear powered ship lines..
	can (able to...) any mil.netters out there
	comment about a nuclear sub that is nomenclated:  NR-1 ?????
	If my "parrot is shining" please notify by e-mail.

	that's -OWARI- from GLOWWORM-7-9-4
	best regards, rbeville@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
	Bob Beville, Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR 97077

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/05/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <11916@cbnews.ATT.COM>, rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) writes:

> From: Bob Beville <rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
>

> 	Along these nuclear powered ship lines..
> 	can (able to...) any mil.netters out there
> 	comment about a nuclear sub that is nomenclated:  NR-1 ?????
> 	If my "parrot is shining" please notify by e-mail.

Since I see no parrot shining, is the net OK?

The NR-1 is a nuclear-powered research sub.  A major problem with
most research submarines is limited time-on-station.  The NR-1
can hang around for days...scheduling use might be a problem, though.

Unless the Navy has assigned you to it for some reason.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

trb@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tom Balent) (12/06/89)

From: trb@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tom Balent)

In article <11916@cbnews.ATT.COM> rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) writes:

>	Along these nuclear powered ship lines..
>	can (able to...) any mil.netters out there
>	comment about a nuclear sub that is nomenclated:  NR-1 ?????
>	If my "parrot is shining" please notify by e-mail.

The NR-1 is a nuclear powered Naval research submarine. It is SMALL,
with a crew of about 4 or 5. In 1973 while stationed on board the
USS Thomas Jefferson (SSBN 618), we were berthed at the pier at the
sub base at New London, the NR-1 was forward of us at the same pier.
The thing is tiny. It is also (was?) very secret - even though I was
a nuclear trained enlisted I (and my shipmates) were not allowed on
board to look around. The thing has wheels on it (so I am told) so that
it can roll along the bottom. It also has closed circuit tv cameras
outside so that the occupants can see what is going on. If I remember
correctly the recator plant is not a pressurized water type, it has some
sort of exotic setup.

There was, a few years ago, an article in National Geographics about
the sub. The author got permission to ride her when she was on some
sort of survey mission near Ireland. (sorry I cannot be more precise
about the date of the article).

				tom balent
				at&t-ns
				columbus

"There are two types of ships in the world,
   ...subs and targets"

ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller) (12/06/89)

From: hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller)

RE: Nuclear surface ships

Generally the tactical and strategic advantage of having nearly unlimited
fuel is extremely important. Having to call "time-out" for underway
refueling is both difficult and dangerous. A nuke doesn't have to
 be refueled at sea, nor is its operation dependent upon this
financial quarter's oil prices. (yes, one eventually has to replenish
food stores.... but you can do that with a helicopter at 30 knots)

The nuke is initially expensive, much more costly to operate in terms
of expensive repair parts and far more extensive personnel training.
Many countries will not permit nuclear powered warships to enter their
water, thus restricting port flexibility.

One thing to note is that in peacetime when Congress doesn't want to
buy fuel oil, the nukes pick up a larger than their fair share of
at-sea days. This leads to little things like the bumpersticker
I saw in Norfolk:

    USS NIMITZ: The Screws Never Stop

Have a nice, Navy day!  :-)

Ron Miller  ex-Lt. USN
of USS CINCINNATTI (SSN-693)

terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker) (12/07/89)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <12017@cbnews.ATT.COM> hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller) writes:

>From: hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller)
>
>Generally the tactical and strategic advantage of having nearly unlimited
>fuel is extremely important. Having to call "time-out" for underway
>refueling is both difficult and dangerous. A nuke doesn't have to
> be refueled at sea, nor is its operation dependent upon this
>financial quarter's oil prices. (yes, one eventually has to replenish
>food stores.... but you can do that with a helicopter at 30 knots)

Unfortunately it takes more than food to keep a battle group
operational.  Carriers still require enormous quantities of
aviation fuel, and munitions (assuming there's any shooting).
Although the navy has spent a lot of time and money developing
effecient ways of getting materiel across the gaps between ships,
they have not made much progress in striking the stores below.
The replenishment process is still slow.  As an aside this is
one of the major questions about the vertical launchers.  Reloading
them is essentially an inport function.

The carrier may be a nuke, but many of the escorts aren't.  Try
as it might, the navy has not been able to provide enough nukes
to make nuclear powered battle groups.  Considering the small boys
need fuel more frequently, the battle group still requires
frequent stops at the pump.  It's a shame that the navy hasn't been
able to build enought nukes.  The mobility of an all nuke battle
group is impressive.  Try it sometime in the Fleet series games
using the logistics rules.

Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
>Unfortunately it takes more than food to keep a battle group
>operational.  Carriers still require enormous quantities of
>aviation fuel, and munitions (assuming there's any shooting).

My recollection is that off Vietnam, typical carrier operations were
something like 7 days "on the line" followed by 4 days off to replenish
fuel and munitions.  (I can *probably* dig up exact numbers if anyone
is interested.)  A supercarrier's magazines have a couple of kilotons of
ordnance in them (that is *not* counting nuclear weapons), but intensive
air operations eat bombs and missiles at a frantic rate.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dale@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Dale Borgeson) (12/13/89)

From: dale@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Dale Borgeson)

in article <12167@cbnews.ATT.COM>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) says:

> My recollection is that off Vietnam, typical carrier operations were
> something like 7 days "on the line" followed by 4 days off to replenish
> fuel and munitions.

	I was in a fighter squadron (VF-114) on the Kitty Hawk from
	1970 to 1973. This included two combat cruises to Vietnam.
	On later crusises (72), the AOE class supply ships (I think
	AOE is the correct ship type) like the Kansas City and
	Sacramento were available for unrep (underway replenishment).
	The AOE carries everything; food, JP-5, avgas, ordinance, spare
	parts, and ship fuel (NSFO & ND):one stop shopping.

	With the AOE the the rate of replenishment was mostly determined
	by ordinance. in 72 we were using a lot of bombs ( > 200 tons/day ).
	We would fly for 12 hours and break for 12 hours. we would
	resupply every three to five days during the non-flying time.
	About every 14 days we would have a stand-down day where we were
	supposed to take it easy but the aircraft maintanence people
	(me) worked even harder because all of the planes were available.
	This would go on for 30 to 60 days ( a line period ) after which
	we would go to SUBIC BAY for 4-5 days of liberty and then go back
	to the line. A cruise lasted 9-12 months.

	The AOEs were huge. THe main deck was at about the same level
	as the hanger deck, which made unrep a little easier. They were
	almost as long as the carrier. There were at least two fuel lines
	and four cargo lines between ships.  The AOE also had a helicopter
	pad aft and a hanger for two CH-46s (I'm not sure about the type,
	it had two rotors fore & aft). The helicopters would take the light
	stuff to the flight deck.

	Mostly we took on bombs. After 2+ hours there would be bombs and
	bomb finn pallets everywhere; in the magazines (full), the mess decks,
	the hanger deck, and the starboard side of the island on the
	roof. After 3-5 days of flying it would be all gone & we'd do
	it again.

	Dale Borgeson
	Rosemount Inc.
	Minneapolis