[sci.military] Tales of Clancy/Clancy's Tales

wanttaja@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ronald J Wanttaja) (12/15/89)

From: ssc-vax!wanttaja@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ronald J Wanttaja)

> I have never heard of any validation of the material in his books.  I
> was told by an intel officer friend that his book had been submitted
> for review.  The Navy told him they would have to either approve or
> disapprove the entire book.  After all telling him which parts to
> remove would tell him what parts were *true* and which parts were
> speculation not near the mark.  The impression I got was that there
> were some sensitive details contained in the book, but most of it
> was on the speculative side

A few points to clarify:

Tom Clancy has *never* had a security clearance.  One of the aspects of
having clearances is the requirement to have material cleared before
publication.  However, since Clancy has never had a clearance, this
requirement doesn't apply to him.  The Navy doesn't have any authority over
him nor his publisher.

HOWEVER, his original publisher was the US Naval Institute... a civilian
company, but of course, with firm ties to the Navy.  Most of the management
is retired Navy, and HAVE signed non-disclosure agreements.  The USNI went
into a dither as to whether to try to "censor" _Red October_.  However, Clancy
now writes for a different publisher, and can say whatever he wants.  If some
CIA source comes up and whispers in his ear, Clancy can use it.  Since he's
never signed an agreement to protect classified information, he cannot
legally be prevented from publishing it.  The US does not have an Official
Secrets Act.

One interesting element about the USNI's investigation as to possible
security compromises was mentioned in a Newsweek article a couple of years
ago.  They submitted a draft of _Red October_ to a retired sub captain for
an accuracy/security review.  Page upon page came back with bold diagonal
red slashes and the letters "BS".  However, the captain, again, WAS covered
by non-disclosure agreements and couldn't tell them exactly what was
wrong.

So file that with your "how accurate is Tom Clancy" stories....

						Ron Wanttaja
						(ssc-vax!wanttaja)