[sci.military] What is the military importance of Israel to the US?

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (12/15/89)

From: steve%revolver@gatech.edu

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx                         Q  U  E  S  T  I  O  N                           xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     It is often said by our representatives in government, lobbyists for
the state of Israel, etc. that Israel is strategically important to the
security interests of the United States.  This claim is never supported by
any concrete evidence.  When attempts are made to justify the claim, they
often center on intelligence activities carried out by the MOSSAD in Arab
countries whose hostility to the US is based, in part, on our support for
the state of Israel.  This kind of circular reasoning is not a good basis
for a nation-state's dealing with its legitimate security interests.

     I would like some of the people here who are familiar with the kinds of
strategic military interests that the US has all over the globe, to explain
to me in ways that have nothing to do with politics, what is important about
Israel to our military/geo-political interests.

***    The preceding statements represent the opinions of the author.   ***
       They must not be interpreted as representing the beliefs of any
       other person, institution, government agency, or business entity.

amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir) (12/18/89)

From: nsc!taux01.nsc.com!amos@decwrl.dec.com (Amos Shapir)

Basically, Israel's importance stems from its proximity to the Suez Canal,
and its ability to function without it.

During WWII, the port of Haifa was used as a back up to the port of
Alexandria in Egypt which was in danger of being taken by Rommel.  It
was also the only friendly port to the US 6th fleet in the Eastern
Mediterranean during most of the 60's and 70's, when Egypt and Syria were
under Soviet influence.

During the times when the Canal was closed (1967-79) Israel operated
a 'land bridge' from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea.

Israel is also one of the few stable western-oriented countries
in south-west Asia.

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com, amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (12/18/89)

From: sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson)

Well I'm no expert but a little geography shows that Israel and Egypt
are important for their passage of oil to the med.  (thence to Europe).
We could bypass the suez I guess.  One thing sticks in my mind is how
Egypt allowed the Klinghoffer murderers to escape their country.  This
was (the interception) probably brought about by US stations as well as
Israeli intellegence.  The importance of Israel to the US is that of a
friend in the middle of enemies.  Sure some take our money, and are nice;
but given a chance, they would side against us.  Israels problem though is
they don't trust us 100%  They think we might sell them out.  This has led
to the attack on the Liberty (Pueblo's sister ship) and spying incidents.

cramer@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer) (12/20/89)

From: cramer@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer)
[ Moderator: I am sending this to you directly, because I once had a
problem with unauthorized approval of a submission of mine to sci.military.
Also, this may be in the forbidden region of politics - use your
discretion. -- Sam ]

In article <12397@cbnews.ATT.COM>, sampson@attctc (Steve Sampson) writes:
>but given a chance, they would side against us.  Israels problem though is
>they don't trust us 100%  They think we might sell them out.  This has led
>to the attack on the Liberty (Pueblo's sister ship) and spying incidents.

Without trying to ignite the annual US Liberty flame-fest, let me point out
that there is good evidence that the Liberty was attacked mistakenly.
There was an excellent article on this subject about 2 years ago in the
"Atlantic Monthly."  If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig up the
reference.

Sam