[sci.military] Vietnam: Australian and US strategies

phipps@solitary (Geoff Phipps) (12/18/89)

From: Geoff Phipps <phipps@solitary>

Brian Ross (bxr307@coombs.anu.oz)
has been writing about the differing strategies pursued by US and
Australian Forces in Vietnam.  I can't claim to be an expert, I wasn't
there and I have only read a few books on the subject, but I do see
things a little differently from him.  While I would agree that a hi-tech
solution to such a war is impossible (unless you have the political
support for genocide), I don't think the Australian strategy would have
worked either.  As usual comparisons have been made to the Malayan
Emergency.  If you look at the two wars I think you will see that the
strategies available to the Commonwealth in Malaya were simply not
available to the US in Vietnam.
For example:

In 1948 Malaya was still part of the Empire, hence Britain had COMPLETE
CONTROL over the government.   There had never been much indigenous
support for independence, so anti-European feelings weren't high.
The first (and subsequent) Malaysian governments were also pro-British
(they owed their existence to the British, anti-colonial elements were
supporting the communists in the jungle).
vs.
South Vietnam was an independent country, the US could only influence
its government. It had recently emerged from a battle of liberation
against foreign domination, so foreigners weren't well received.

The Malaysian Government and Civil Service and Police were fairly free
of corruption.
vs
The RVN civil service had been filled by the French with collaborators,
who were drawn to their administrative positions by the promise of
wealth.  Things hadn't changed much, the ruling cliques and many middle
officials were incredibly corrupt.

The Malayan government gave land titles to previously unlanded Chinese
farmers (although this was done as part of a population relocation).
vs
The RVN government was unwilling to implement reforms that would have
swayed the peasants (e.g. land reform).

The Malaysian Communists were almost all Chinese.  Ethnic Chinese were
about a third of the population, so the Communist's population base was
limited.
vs.
The Vietcong were Vietnamese.

Malaysia had been part of the Empire, so the people of the Commonwealth had
some attachment to the place.
vs
Few Americans knew where Vietnam was before the US became involved.

*****************
So much for Hearts and Minds.  As for more traditional military matters:

(West) Malaya has a very short land border, and with only foreign country
(I'm ignoring the parts of Malaysia in Borneo because no fighting in the
Emergency took place there.  Of course during the confrontation with
Indonesia things got a bit hot).  The Various Royal Navies could stop
most seaborne supplies.
vs
South Vietnam had very long land borders.  The USN probably stopped
much of the seaborne supply (here I'm guessing).

The Malaysian Communists were lucky to have automatic weapons.
vs
the Vietcong always had AK-47's and mortars, progressing to rockets
etc.

**********
I agree that the only (known) way to win a civil war like Vietnam or
Malaya is to pursue the political front and the military front in
parallel.  In Malaya the Commonwealth was able to do that, the US could
not do that in Vietnam because it had to act through the corrupt RVN
administration.  Militarily you have to use lots of infantry on the
ground to close with the enemy and either kill him or drive him away
from the population.  You also have to avoid killing neutral civilians
(or they become enemy). Artillery can't do this.  The only way to stop
the North from supporting subversion in the South and/or crossing the
border would have been to invade the North. This was not politically
possible.  Hence victory was impossible on either front in Vietnam.

************

I am also an Australian, and have engaged in my share of "yank-bashing",
but I don't think we would have done much better in Vietnam.

Geoff Phipps,
phipps@solitary.stanford.edu
Stanford University, Computer Science Department

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (12/20/89)

From: wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr)

In article <12399@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Geoff Phipps said:

> The Malayan government gave land titles to previously unlanded Chinese
> farmers (although this was done as part of a population relocation).
> vs
> The RVN government was unwilling to implement reforms that would have
> swayed the peasants (e.g. land reform).

It was worse than that: the South Vietnamese government was foricbly
resettling lots of peasants as part of its "Strategic Hamlet Program."
The primary result of this program was that the Viet Cong never
suffered from any shortage of willing recruits in the South.

> The Malaysian Communists were lucky to have automatic weapons.
> vs
> the Vietcong always had AK-47's and mortars, progressing to rockets
> etc.

Mmm, not "always," and your mention of AK-47's implies that most of
their weapons were of Communist-bloc manufacture.  In fact, it was
only after the battle of Ap Bac (2 Jan. 1963), in which the Viet Cong
scored a victory so huge that it amazed even them (and which the
American brass claimed, and apparently believed, was a victory for the
South) that the VC leadership in the North decided that the time was
right to begin shipping arms wholesale into the South.  Prior to that,
the average Viet Cong guerrilla in the South had three possible
sources of weapons:

(1) Old weapons leftover from the war with the French.  Usually pretty
    clunky, especially compared with what the enemy (US/ARVN had).

(2) Homemade weapons, mostly shotguns made out of galvanized pipe.
    Often more dangerous to the shooter than to the target.

(3) Weapons captured from the enemy.  This was where they got their
    good stuff from.  From Neil Sheehan's "A Bright Shining Lie,"
    pp. 99-101, referring to the situation in September of 1962 [my
    apologies for the wall-to-wall text; Sheehan's paragraph breaks
    are few and far between]:

    "His [John Paul Vann's] gravest immediate worry was that although
the Viet Cong were being killed in unprecedented numbers, the United
States was at the same time removing the basic limit on the expansion
of the guerrillas -- the availability of captured weapons.  The
advisory mission was inadvertently supplying the Viet Cong with U.S.
arms.  Since the spring of 1962 the 28,000 Saigon territorials in the
division zone had been turning in their bolt-action French rifles for
fast-firing American weaponry as fast as they could be trained to
shoot the U.S. arms.  The 10,000 Civil Guardsmen were being equipped
with a full bristle of infantry weapons from M-1 rifles to machine
guns and mortars.  The 18,000 Self-Defense Corps militiamen were being
armed more selectively but still handsomely with semi-automatic .30
caliber carbines, Thompson submachine guns, and the BAR, the clip-fed
light machine gun.  What Harkins [Westmoreland's predecessor as head
of the American military in Vietnam] and his staff had failed to
forsee prior to ordering the program full speed ahead was that no
weapons should be handed out until the little outposts garrisoned by
the territorials had been dismantled and consolidated.  Otherwise the
Saigon territorials would serve as a conduit to channel this American
arms largess to the Communists, which was exactly what was happening.

    "The Civil Guards and the SDC were the troops most frequently
ambushed, and they manned the 776 outposts in the northern [Mekong
River] Delta which were the prime targets of the guerrillas.  The
great majority of these outposts inherited from the French... were
easy marks, because the masonary watchtowers, which Vann called "brick
coffins," were garrisoned by half a dozen SDC and the little
triangular-shaped forts of mud walls surrounded by a moat were held by
no more than a reinforced squad.  The elimination of most of these "VC
supply points," as Vann and his advisors referred to the outposts in
general, had been another of the priorities that Vann and Porter
[Vann's immediate superior officer] had agreed on."

    Unfortunately, Vann and Porter got nowhere.  When he recommended
to Col. Cao (his opposite number in the ARVN) and the various South
Vietnamese province chiefs that the outposts be eliminated through
consolidation, "Cao and the villiage chiefs had all replied that it
was impossible to eliminate the outposts, that they were symbols of
the government's authority and [President] Diem would never permit
their removal.... The only posts dismantled were those the guerrillas
overrran and had the peasants tear down before they withdrew, and the
province chiefs rebuilt those as fast as they could.

    "...Substituting newly captured automatic and semi-automatic
American weapons for the previously captured French bolt-action rifles
that were still the standard weapon of the regular and provincial
guerrillas would... mean a manifold improvement in Viet Cong
firepower.  That the guerrillas were attempting such a quantum
upgrading was evident in the M-1's, carbines and Thompson submachine
guns which were starting to show up in arms seized from Main Force and
regional units.  If nothing was done to stop this drain of American
arms through the outposts -- and Harkins and his representatives were
always prodding the training advisors to hand out weapons faster
despite the warnings from Vann and other division senior advisors --
then Vann would encounter increasingly better-armed Viet Cong in his
shakily led campaign to destroy the Main Force and provincial
guerrilla units.  If his campaign was ever interrupted or lost
momentum for some reason and the Communists were able to fully
reconstitute their striking force and go on the offensive with
impunity, the guerrillas would capture many more American weapons,
build their strength far beyond current numbers, and become a foe more
formidable than Vann cared to imagine."