[sci.military] Eagle Question

wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates) (12/22/89)

From: wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates)

Does anyone know why the Eagle

                          T       T
                          |  ___  |
                          | /   \ |
  ________________________|(_____)|_______________________
 /----------|---------|---/       \---|--------|----|-----\
           o|o   _L   ||  |       |  ||   _L  o|o   O
            o   /  \ @-\\__\_____/__//-@ /  \  o
                \__/   /  |   _L   |  \  \__/
                     -@- (_) /  \ (_) -@-
                             \__/

cannot utilize the Phoenix Missile ??
Is is merely financial (I have heard that a Phoenix is 2.2 Million a pop..)
or is it radar, or is it the pylons or .....
I dunno- any ideas out there- no, any _information_ :-) out there  ??

BCB

P.S. I got some info from McDonnel Douglas and other scources about the
F-15 E and hopefully will put together a posting on it soon.

hatch@cs.utah.edu (Corey Hatch) (12/23/89)

From: hatch@cs.utah.edu (Corey Hatch)
	>In article <12534@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates)
	>writes:

	>Does anyone know why the Eagle cannot utilize the Phoenix Missile ??
	>Is is merely financial (I have heard that a Phoenix is 2.2 Million
	>a pop..or is it radar, or is it the pylons or .....

The 'Phoenix missle' is only PART of the Hughes AWG-9 weapons control system.
The F-14 Tomcat is an example of a platform built around this system.  The
F-15 was designed for a different mission and doesn't possess the AWG-9, and
hence the Phoenix either...

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Corey Scott Hatch					     hatch@cs.utah.edu
University of Utah					          801-581-7845

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat! "

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (12/23/89)

From: steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In article <12534@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates) writes:

>From: wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates)
>
>Does anyone know why the Eagle
>Is is merely financial (I have heard that a Phoenix is 2.2 Million a pop..)
>or is it radar, or is it the pylons or .....
>I dunno- any ideas out there- no, any _information_ :-) out there  ??

I'm not sure, but there are 2 reasons I can think of:  The F-15
would need the same radar as the F-14, and I think that the Phoenix
is too heavy to be carried by the existing hardpoints on the F-15.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker) (12/23/89)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <12534@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbates@bucsf.bu.edu (William Bates) writes:

>Does anyone know why the Eagle
>cannot utilize the Phoenix Missile ??
I believe there are several reasons.  First, the Phoenix is LARGE.
One of the reasons the Tomcat is such a huge plane is the size and
weight of the Phoenix.  Remember that the F111 was originally designed
to carry the Phoenix.  Compare its size to the F15.  Second when the
plane and missile were designed the fire control system and missile
hardpoints were physically adapted for each type of ordance that could
be carried.  Use of the Phoenix was not built into the design.  With
the current use of more software interfaces adapting the fire control
system would not be as much of a problem, but the physical attachment
problem would still exist.  The fire control system also doesn't have
the capability to utilize the full potentail of the missile.  After
all it does have a theoretical potential of engaging targets 100 miles
away.  I don't think that the F15 radar can even detect targets at
that range, and it can only lock onot targets 40 miles away.  Third,
there is a doctrinal problem.  The Phoenix was designed for a specific
application, shooting down long range naval aviation bombers attacking
a carrier battle group.  The air force doesn't want that mission and
the navy would like them to not get involved either.  The missile has
limited capability against small and or manuvering targets.  Since the
air force is not as concern any more with shooting down large bombers,
they need weapons that are more suitable against smaller attack
aircraft.  Also considering the low level nature of modern over ground
air operations it is doubtful if F15's would be utilizing the full
range of the Sparrow much less the Phoenix.  Over water there are no
hills to hide behind, so the F14 can stay a long distance away and lob
in missiles.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu