[sci.military] Infra-red detection

GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Clifford Johnson) (12/22/89)

From:      "Clifford Johnson" <GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
} > there is a large IR signature associated with heat
} Thermal radiation is emitted over a broad range of wavelengths . . .
} capabilities depend, of course, on the sensors, the targets of
} interest, and the background against which those targets are observed.

While not an expert, I believe the distance of the sensor from the
source is also important, especially because the atmosphere absorbs
radiation except at certain wavelengths.  Thus, viewed
from space, an oil fire has the same infra-red radiation pattern
as a missile exhaust plume.  Given this look-alike phenomenum,
the term "signature" is very misleading.

Are satellite sensors sufficiently sensitive to detect residual
differences in spectroscopic distributions as to reliably
differentiate between various hot sources?  I don't believe so.
Can anyone enlighten me?

To:  MILITARY@ATT.ATT.COM

patterso@ads.com (Tim J. Patterson) (12/23/89)

From: patterso@ads.com (Tim J. Patterson)

In article <12535@cbnews.ATT.COM> GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Clifford Johnson) writes:

>Are satellite sensors sufficiently sensitive to detect residual
>differences in spectroscopic distributions as to reliably
>differentiate between various hot sources?  I don't believe so.
>Can anyone enlighten me?

There is indeed a spectroscopic difference between an oil fire and a
missile plume.  In order to detect a spectroscopic difference you need
a multi-channel IR sensor-aka multispectral.  Certainly neither of the
2 available multispectral satellites (LANDSAT TM, and SPOT) has the IR
resolution to see the spectral difference.  While it is theoretically
possible to do this, optical and detector plane technology in the IR
region is more difficult than much of the visible region so probably
this type of discrimination will have to continue to be done using
target/background discrimination and spatial cues.

nadel@aerospace.aero.org (Miriam H. Nadel) (12/23/89)

From: nadel@aerospace.aero.org (Miriam H. Nadel)

In article <12535@cbnews.ATT.COM> GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Clifford Johnson) writes:

>While not an expert, I believe the distance of the sensor from the
>source is also important, especially because the atmosphere absorbs
>radiation except at certain wavelengths.  Thus, viewed
>from space, an oil fire has the same infra-red radiation pattern
>as a missile exhaust plume.  Given this look-alike phenomenum,
>the term "signature" is very misleading.

The atmosphere is more important as a source of refraction.  The observed
position of an IR source depends, in part, on how much atmosphere you're
looking through.

>Are satellite sensors sufficiently sensitive to detect residual
>differences in spectroscopic distributions as to reliably
>differentiate between various hot sources?  I don't believe so.
>Can anyone enlighten me?

Generally satellite sensors are relatively broad band.  Differentiation between
various IR sources has more to do with their pattern of motion than with
their spectroscopic distribution.  To use your example, an oil fire will
be in a fixed location with respect to the earth, while a missile exhaust
plume will have a characteristic motion, depending on the type of missile.
One can detect relatively small changes in position, depending on the
exact configuration of the sensor focal plane.  It isn't unusual to have
several hundred separate sensor cells.

By the way, the biggest source of noise is probably IR radiation from stars.
A common approach is to use a catalog of known star positions to remove
them from the data stream.  This has more to do with reducing processing
load than with the possibility of false detections, however.

Miriam Nadel
--
One of the 60% of Americans who do not spend a lot of time on their personal
appearance.

nadel@aerospace.aero.org

wanttaja@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ronald J Wanttaja) (12/23/89)

From: ssc-vax!wanttaja@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ronald J Wanttaja)

> While not an expert, I believe the distance of the sensor from the
> source is also important, especially because the atmosphere absorbs
> radiation except at certain wavelengths.  Thus, viewed
> from space, an oil fire has the same infra-red radiation pattern
> as a missile exhaust plume.  Given this look-alike phenomenum,
> the term "signature" is very misleading.
>
> Are satellite sensors sufficiently sensitive to detect residual
> differences in spectroscopic distributions as to reliably
> differentiate between various hot sources?  I don't believe so.
> Can anyone enlighten me?

Stationary sources don't cause much problem.  Oil well fires differ from
missile plumes in two important categories:  They don't move, and they
don't vary significantly within short periods of time.  Missiles don't just
turn on and off; there is a distinctive time-intensity history for each
than can be used to determine missile type.

Motion is also important, of course, since oil wells don't generally move.
Missiles accelerate.

So, normally there's little problem telling an oil well fire from missile
launches.  However, in weird cases, the software can be fooled... that's
why there are men (and women) in the loop.

However, as for telling a stationary tank from a bakery, a satellite would
be in sad shape, for the reasons you mentioned.

					  Ron Wanttaja
					  (ssc-vax!wanttaja)