[sci.military] Drugs in War

carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) (12/18/89)

From: Carl Noseworthy <carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca>

Post to sci.military (Is this the right address?)

Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

--
Carl Noseworthy

denbeste@BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) (12/19/89)

From: Steven Den Beste <denbeste@BBN.COM>

In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:
>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

The British army historically issued gin to the troops just before a battle.
Run or other spirits were routinely issued to sailors in the RN on wooden
ships.

Alcohol is a good drug for this because in small quantities it makes a person
less fearful and more sure of himself.

	[mod.note:  Soviet troops were reportedly issued vodka before some
	attacks.  Lord knows *I'd* need a few stiff belts before joining
	in a human wave assault...  - Bill ]

Steven C. Den Beste        ||  denbeste@bbn.com (ARPA/CSNET)
BBN Communications Corp.   ||  {apple, usc, husc6, csd4.milw.wisc.edu,
150 Cambridge Park Dr.     ||   gatech, oliveb, mit-eddie,
Cambridge, MA 02140        ||   ulowell}!bbn.com!denbeste (USENET)

nelson@udel.edu (Mark Nelson) (12/19/89)

From: Mark Nelson <nelson@udel.edu>

In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:

>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

According to a TV news report on ice (smoked amphetamine crystals)
that I saw (and I don't remember on what network), amphetamines
were originally invented by the Japanese in the 1930s.  They were
given to Japanese troops during the war, as a stimulant.

The report went on to say that amphetamines were legal in Japan
until some time in the 1950s, and that there was a large addict
population, consisting mainly of veterans.  After they were
made illegal, most of the amphetamine production moved to Korea,
I assume after the end of the Korean war.
--

Mark Nelson                 ...!rutgers!udel!nelson or nelson@udel.edu
This function is occasionally useful as an argument to other functions

cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash) (12/19/89)

From: cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash)

In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:

>From: Carl Noseworthy <carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca>
>
>Post to sci.military (Is this the right address?)
>
>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

It's common to ascribe the motivation of enemy soldiers to drugs.  (Theirs
are drugged fanatics, ours are determined and brave boys.)  To look for
government-sanctioned military use of drugs, you don't have to look too
far.  I recall that about a year ago, there was a big stink when it was
revealed that the USAF was routinely issuing speed to fighter pilots on
long flights.

As far as military effectiveness goes, the use of certain drugs such as
steroids (make you strong and hostile) and speed (make you awake and
hostile) would obviously be advantageous.  Tranquilizers would be useful to
bring the soldiers down from the other drugs, and to overcome the
stress/fatigue effects of battle.

The disadvantages would include the social consequences of such drug use
(i.e. their continued use by veterans after the war), and--of course--the
direct medical consequences of their use on the physiology of the soldiers.

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |    cash@convex

yp-mjk@stekt.oulu.fi (Mikko Katajam{ki) (12/20/89)

From: yp-mjk@stekt.oulu.fi (Mikko Katajam{ki)
In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:

> From: Carl Noseworthy <carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca>

> Post to sci.military (Is this the right address?)

> Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
> any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
> advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
> might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
> Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

I can't refer to anything right now, but about a year ago I read a
book considering the drug abuse now and before. In the book it
was mentioned that U.S. soldiers got some portions of "vitamin-A"
in the end of WWII (the run to Berlin) and I believe as well in
the Korean war. The stuff was basicly amphetamin, might also have
some real vitamins too, but the idea was to keep soldiers awake
longer.

--
Mikko Katajam{ki	#  e-mail: mjk@steks.oulu.fi
Dept. of elec. eng.	#          yp-mjk@stekt.oulu.fi

harold@celia.UUCP (Harold Buchman) (12/20/89)

From: harold@celia.UUCP (Harold Buchman)

Interesting that you should mention the military use of drugs.
Just about two years ago Aviation Week ran an issue on
projects related to the next generation of USAF fighters.
One of the proposed avenues of research was using drugs to
increase pilots' tolerance to g forces. There were no further
details provided.

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (12/20/89)

From: oink!jep (James E. Prior)

In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:
>From: Carl Noseworthy <carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca>
>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it?

Years ago, a friend told me how his dad got his back messed up in the
Korean War, fending off waves of soldiers doped up on morphine.  They
would take shots and just keep on coming until they were either dead or
unconscious.

There is some controversy about whether the Air Force encouraged the use
of amphetamines so pilots could stay awake en-route during the mission
over Libya a few years ago.

I believe that around the turn of the century, our army had difficulty
putting down doped up natives in the Philippines.

Certainly many goverments have certainly condoned the use of alcohol to
boost "resolve".

There has been much serious research by governments into the use of
drugs, both for use by their own people, and against enemies.

--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (12/20/89)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <12427@cbnews.ATT.COM>, denbeste@BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) writes:
> From: Steven Den Beste <denbeste@BBN.COM>
>
> In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:
>>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?
>
> The British army historically issued gin to the troops just before a battle.
> Run or other spirits were routinely issued to sailors in the RN on wooden
> ships.
>
> Alcohol is a good drug for this because in small quantities it makes a person
> less fearful and more sure of himself.

The British army issued Rum as a reliever of cold during WWI.  The Royal Navy
issue of a daily rum ration was only ceased in 1967.

In the Australian Army we still have Rum as a cold weather supplementary ration
in the ration scales.  In addition we have an unofficial rule (and have had one
since as long ago as WWII) that each man in the field is entitled to "two cans
of beer, per day, perhaps!"  Which in other words means that whenever possible
a  ration of beer will be brought foward and issued to the diggers.  However as
can be imagined this is not possible all the time.
Whenever possible we try and look after our diggers. ;-)

In the Royal Australian Navy there is a similar tradition.  However technology
has caught up with them.  On most modern ships (FFG and greater) they have the
venerable Cocoa Cola vending machines.  After a certain hour of the day
(usually 5.00pm) a switch is flipped and they dispense something a little more
interesting after you insert your coins! ;-)  However only off-duty sailors are
allowed to partake.

In the RAAF they have similar ideas I'm sure.  However I've never spent much
time with the "bry-clean boys", so I cannot say for sure.

Brian Ross

jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (12/20/89)

From: jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky)

Here are excerpts from a news story that came out last year, confirming that
US and other military services issue drugs to servicemen.  It was in INSIGHT,
a magazine that is, or was, published by THE WASHINGTON TIMES newspaper.
It was in the August 22, 1988 issue, pages 18 and 19:

FLYING ON AMPHETAMINES IS NO DEPARTURE FROM TRADITION by Susan Katz Keating

...(there was) a recent report that fighter pilots stationed in West Germany
are issued both stimulants and sedatives.

The administration of drugs to pilots was a featured item on "Monitor," a West
German investigative television program.  Germans reportedly gasped in horror
at the thought of American pilots zipping over Europe, giggling madly while
carrying loads of weapons.  The civil aviation community in the United States
responded with similar expressions of shock: Civilian agencies do not --- ever
--- condone flying under the influence of drugs.

But the Air Force, which might have been expected to deny or downplay such
news, simply shrugged its official blue shoulders and said, in effect, "What's
the big deal?"

The drugs are indeed issued, says Col. Russell B. Rayman, chief of Air Force
Surgeon General's Aerospace Medical Consultants Office.  "It's a safe,
sensible policy.  We've never had an accident with this, and it's smart."

The tablets, which are prescribed under strict conditions for pilots on
long-distance flights, are credited as lifesavers in a situation known for
its enormous physical demands. ...

In their use of artificial stimulation, airmen were taking their place in a
long military tradition.  Historians have speculated that soldiers in the
Civil War coped with their arduous marches by using cocaine.  The drug is also
believed to have been used in the Spanish-American War, and the German's
winter march against the Soviet Union during World War II was made possible
by amphetamine supplements.

"The German army along the Eastern front used Benzedrine extensively," says
military historian Shelby Stanton.  "They dispensed it to the line troops.
Ninety percent of their army had to march on foot, day and night.  It was
more important for them to keep punching during the Bliztkrieg than to get
a good night's sleep.  The whole damn army was hopped up.  It was one of the
secrets of the blitzkrieg." ...

Paratroopers and special assault troops in the US Army were also given
stimulants in battle in World War II, says Stanton. ...

The Army's Special Forces ... were issued amphetamines for use on long-range
reconnaisance missions in the Vietnam conflict.  Teams infiltrating Laos, for
example, were issued survival kits that included 12 Darvon, 24 codeine and
six dextroamphetamine tablets per man for each four-day mission.  Former
Special Forces operatives also report receiving steroid injections before
embarking on strenuous, deep-penetration assignments.

"Some people were really junked, and had to be taken off the drugs," said
one former operative.  "They got hooked from the frequency of their missions
--- not from breaking into their kits and getting high."

Air Force pilots, meanwhile, are issued stimulants only under fishbowl-like
conditions governed by the service's surgeon general's office.

"We use these medications only under very controlled and special
circumstances," says Rayman.  Amphetamines are mainly prescribed for fighter
pilots on long trans-oceanic missions or on special flights of two or three
days' duration requiring frequent in-flight refueling and crossing several
time zones. ...

Amphetamines are made available to pilots on these high-stress flights, says
Rayman, only after a long process of consultation between the aviator's
commander and a flight surgeon ...

Pills are doled out in small increments before a flight; unused tablets are
collected and destroyed afterward.  "Pilots are not required to take them,"
says Rayman.  "The great majority don't even use them, but some say they feel
good having them available, just in case."  ...

- Jonathan Jacky, University of Washington, jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (12/22/89)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: oink!jep (James E. Prior)
>I believe that around the turn of the century, our army had difficulty
>putting down doped up natives in the Philippines.

A contributing factor in this was inadequate weaponry.  Colt's .45 automatic
pistol, in particular, came about because of loud complaints that the .38
revolver then issued was ineffective against determined (or drugged) enemies.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mmm@cup.portal.com (12/22/89)

From: mmm@cup.portal.com
I'd heard that vitamin A (actual vitamin A, not a code name for amphetamine)
was given to WW2 bomber personnel to improve their night vision.  I'd heard
this in an article I read about the discovery that sharks were a prodigous
source of the raw material.

Is this true?  Or is the bit about "vitamin A" being fed to bomber crews
over Germany just a cover story for serious drug use.

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (OFV) (12/22/89)

From: Mary Shafer (OFV) <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Carl Noseworthy <carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca> writes:

>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

The Royal Air Force and Royal Navy used mild sleeping pills (Restoril is
the US name) to help their aircrew reset their biological clocks during
the Falklands War.  The flight surgeons did an extensive study which was
reported in the Journal of Aerospace Medicine.

Anti-motion-sickness drugs (particularly the behind-the-ear patches) are
also frequently used.

Caffeine is provided through official channels and is frequently abused. :-)

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

raymond@io.ame.arizona.edu (Raymond Man) (12/23/89)

From: raymond@io.ame.arizona.edu (Raymond Man)

	In <12530@cbnews.ATT.COM> Henry Spencer wrote
>A contributing factor in this was inadequate weaponry.  Colt's .45 automatic
>pistol, in particular, came about because of loud complaints that the .38
>revolver then issued was ineffective against determined (or drugged) enemies.

	I believe the 45 revolver came before the 45 automatic, but
Mr. Spencer was certainly right about the US Army's choice of 45 cal.
because 38 cal.'s ineffectiveness to stop a charging Philipino.

	Actually the 45 automatic has such calibrate inherited from
the 45 revolver, otherwise the much more popular 9mm would have been
the choice. Control of a 45 cal. weapon, especially an automatic,
requires both a lot of training and a strong hand.

"Man is the measure of all things."
Just call me `Man'.
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (12/23/89)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <12531@cbnews.ATT.COM> mmm@cup.portal.com writes:

>From: mmm@cup.portal.com
>I'd heard that vitamin A (actual vitamin A, not a code name for amphetamine)
>was given to WW2 bomber personnel to improve their night vision.  I'd heard
>this in an article I read about the discovery that sharks were a prodigous
>source of the raw material.
>
>Is this true?  Or is the bit about "vitamin A" being fed to bomber crews
>over Germany just a cover story for serious drug use.

it can go either way.  a deficiency of vitamin A will seriously impair your
night vision.  vitamin A is used by the body in the production of "Visual
Purple", the substance in the eye that allows us to see at night...

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

moshe@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Moshe Yudkowsky) (12/27/89)

From: moshe@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Moshe Yudkowsky)

In article <12531@cbnews.ATT.COM> mmm@cup.portal.com writes:

>I'd heard that vitamin A (actual vitamin A, not a code name for amphetamine)
>was given to WW2 bomber personnel to improve their night vision.

The tale about British fighter pilots having excellent night vision,
due to their intake of carrots, was a cover story hiding the British
use of radar to home in on enemy  planes.  This sounds like more of the
same.

A vitamin A  deficiency will degrade your eyesight.  Adding vitamin A
to a balaced diet will *not* improve your eyesight.

--
         Moshe Yudkowsky   moshe@ihnet.att.com  att!ihnet!moshe
 "I never saw any problem, however complicated, that when looked at

khun@cd.chalmers.se.chalmers.se (Peter Wennerholm) (12/27/89)

From: khun@cd.chalmers.se.chalmers.se (Peter Wennerholm)
In article <12395@cbnews.ATT.COM> carl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carl Noseworthy) writes:
>Have governments ever condoned the use of drugs by their soldiers? Have
>any governments even encouraged it? I could see some sort of physical
>advantage if a whole army was on steroids. What other types of drugs
>might be used to enhance performance in soldiers? For example, were Japanese
>Kamikaze pilots given some sort of drug before their final flights?

  Depends on how you define drugs. If you include alcohol, well...

  When the Soviet army was fighting in Stalingrad it received its supplies
  via the Volga river (at least I think that river is the Volga river), and
  the records on how much of each type of supplies that was sent still
  exists. The "food" that took up the most tonnage was Vodka!

  Also, several of the British squares at Waterloo had a barrel of rhum in
  their center.

      Peter

Who:  Peter Wennerholm      Pen:  Engelbrektsgatan 26   |   ...and I am MUCH
At :  khun@cd.chalmers.se         S-411 37 Gothenburg   |      better than my
Phn:  +46 +(0)31 812108           Sweden                |      reputation...

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/27/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <12531@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mmm@cup.portal.com writes:

> From: mmm@cup.portal.com
> I'd heard that vitamin A (actual vitamin A, not a code name for amphetamine)
> was given to WW2 bomber personnel to improve their night vision.  I'd heard
> this in an article I read about the discovery that sharks were a prodigous
> source of the raw material.
>
> Is this true?  Or is the bit about "vitamin A" being fed to bomber crews
> over Germany just a cover story for serious drug use.

A similar story was circulated for a while to explain why RAF night bomber
raids were hitting the target area more often...rather than open up about
various navigation and targeting aids such as radar, as well as better
night-fighter scores.

The story goes that some Luftwaffe types didn't exactly believe it, but
they did try large doses of vitamin A on some of their night-fighter
crews to see if it *really* did have such an effect.  (They had radar,
too, so the real explanantion seemed pretty straightforward to at least
some of them.)

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d