[sci.military] Nations in WWII

de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) (12/01/89)

From: moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan)

In article <10624@cbnews.ATT.COM> jwebb@hydra.unm.edu (James Webb) writes:

>From: jwebb@hydra.unm.edu (James Webb)
>   Recently on a radio station the question was posed:
>    "How many nations were involved in WWII?"
>Asia: USSR (already counted), China, Mongolia, Japan, Korea, Siam,
						       ^^^^ was part of Japan
						       since the 1890's

>        Federated Malay States, Burma, India,

	 These were British controlled, and not independant

>        Australia, New Zealand.

>	Also, did Iran get somehow involved ?  I recall British supplies
>	getting to Russia via Iran.

Iran was British controlled, and tried to invite the Nazis in (on the
assumption that the British enemy would set them free.)  The British
stopped this by deposing the existing Shah, and replacing him with his
son Reza Pahlavi, the late shah Khomeini deposed.

>Philippine/New Guinea/Sumatra region.
Philippines were US controlled territory (independance was 7/4/46), Indonesia
was Dutch.
>Asia Minor: All neutral, I think, though partly controlled by France
>	and Britain (Syria and Palestine/Transjordan, respectively)

>Africa: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Italian
>	Somaliland, South Africa.
Except Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia were not independant and were part of France,
Libya was an Italian colony, Italian Somaliland was just that, an Italian
colony.  Ethiopia was independant.  Check out an old map of Africa.  There are
three independant countries: Egypt, Ethiopia, South Africa.  The rest were
controlled by Europe.

I am unsure about Central and South America, although I seem to vaguely
remember that some of the countries (Brazil and Costa Rica) were involved.

 -->        David Esan                rochester!moscom!de

hcobb@cs.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (12/04/89)

From: walt.cc.utexas.edu!hcobb@cs.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb)

Quoting from World Book 1988:

	"Liberia sent troops to fight in France in World War I.  During
World War II, the United States built Robertsfield air base (now called
Roberts International Airport) near Monrovia.  The air base was a vital
link in the Allied supply lines to Europe and the Middle East."

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu

khun@cd.chalmers.se.chalmers.se (Peter Wennerholm) (12/27/89)

From: khun@cd.chalmers.se.chalmers.se (Peter Wennerholm)
In article <11867@cbnews.ATT.COM> moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) writes:
:From: moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan)
:>From: jwebb@hydra.unm.edu (James Webb)
:
:Libya was an Italian colony, Italian Somaliland was just that, an Italian
:colony.  Ethiopia was independant.  Check out an old map of Africa.  There are
:three independant countries: Egypt, Ethiopia, South Africa.  The rest were
:controlled by Europe.
:
  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't old Benito grab Ethiopia a few years
  before the Second World War?

    Peter

[mod.note.  Yes, in 1935, if memory serves.  - Bill ]

Who:  Peter Wennerholm      Pen:  Engelbrektsgatan 26   |   ...and I am MUCH
At :  khun@cd.chalmers.se         S-411 37 Gothenburg   |      better than my
Phn:  +46 +(0)31 812108           Sweden                |      reputation...