[sci.military] Tank IR Stealth

teener@apple.com (Michael Teener) (12/23/89)

From: teener@apple.com (Michael Teener)

In article <12506@cbnews.ATT.COM> frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn) writes:
>  It could be argued of course that the move
> to gas turbines in MBTs makes tanks highly susceptible to IR and thermal
> guidance and thus MANPADS guidance systems?

Actually, I believe the opposite is the case.  The old diesel tanks had no
IR shielding, so the exhausts were amazingly hot ... they showed up rather
well on old IR cameras.  The M1 was supposed to be better, but I have no
personal experience.  Does anyone else know the effectiveness of the M1 IR
"stealth" features?

---- Michael Teener -- 408-974-3521 ---------------------------------+
---- Internet teener@apple.com, AppleLink TEENER                     |
---- Apple may know my opinions, but *I* am responsible for them     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Transportation by Cheetah N9900U, a loyal beast for the past 5 years.

frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn) (01/02/90)

From: Frank Dunn <frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk>
In the case of the M1 A1 the GAO report I saw in the early 80's noted some
concern over the volume of hot air the tank put out whilst stationary.
I take the point about diesels tho' in relation toa gas turbine the volume
of hot air and thus the size of the signature makes the diesel a much
smaller source. For efforts on reducing the signature look towards what
has been tried on helos since the mid-60's.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not