[sci.military] US officer who understood

wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker) (12/22/89)

From: wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker)
See the book "A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann & the US in Vietnam"
for a Colonel who was fed up with free-fire zones & lack of military
and civilian cooperation on pacification (hearts&minds in AuzzieSpeak).

The author (I forget who...) knew both JPV and Dan'l Ellsberg over there.
Great book, gets me depressed.

-- bill ricker
(My employer doesn't care what I think)

J.Worsley@uunet.UU.NET (James Worsley) (01/02/90)

From: munnari!ditmela.oz.au!J.Worsley@uunet.UU.NET (James Worsley)

in article <12538@cbnews.ATT.COM>, wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker) says:

> From: wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker)
> See the book "A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann & the US in Vietnam"
> for a Colonel who was fed up with free-fire zones & lack of military
> and civilian cooperation on pacification (hearts&minds in AuzzieSpeak).

	Another excellent book on the state of the US forces in Vietnam, as well
one damn good read is "About Face: Odyssey of an American warrior" by
Col. David H. Hackworth. The book has been out in Australia for about
6 months now, but I don't know whether it has been published in the US
yet.

	The book is Hackworth's autobiography, spanning from the time he joined
the US army at 15 in 1946, through Korea, Eisenhowers 'New Look' army of the
1950s, and finally to Vietnam where he spoke out against the way the
war was being fought and terminated his career.

James Worsley
jmw@ditmela.oz.au