[sci.military] .45 Automatics

bae@uunet.UU.NET (Brian Ehrmantraut) (01/02/90)

From: auspex!bae@uunet.UU.NET (Brian Ehrmantraut)

In article <12561@cbnews.ATT.COM>, raymond@io.ame.arizona.edu (Raymond Man) writes:
> Control of a 45 cal. weapon, especially an automatic,
> requires both a lot of training and a strong hand.

	This is a piece of military folklore that keeps cropping up.  It also
happens to be completely untrue.  I can show you in 5 minutes how to fire
a 1911A1 Colt .45 Automatic, firing military FMJ ammunition, using only
two fingers, if you have hands of average size.

	The recoil from "the mighty .45 auto" is in fact quite manageable.

	The other common bit of .45 folklore concerns the accuracy of this fine
weapon.  Many people claim that you are better off throwing the .45 at your
foe than trying to shoot the gun.  Perhaps this may be the case if you are
using a completely decrepit, shot-out firearm (such as is often the case in
military training programs), but a .45 in decent tune is capable of superb
accuracy.

	Just take a look at what the top competitors in NRA centerfire
pistol competitions are using.  Or ask what the top weapon of choice amoung
world-class action shooters is - it's the 1911-style Colt auto.

--
		Brian A. Ehrmantraut

BELL:   voice:(408) 492-0900  fax: (408) 492-0902
USnail:	Auspex Systems, 2952 Bunker Hill Lane, Santa Clara, CA 95054

ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller) (01/04/90)

From: hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller)

Re: .45 auto folklore

When I did my weapons quals I did not hear this folklore although
I have heard it *somewhere*

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the big fella was to shoot.
Especially since it was my first time shooting anything bigger than
a .22.

"With a magazine and 5 rounds....."

Ron Miller

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (01/05/90)

From: steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In article <12749@cbnews.ATT.COM> hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller) writes:

>From: hplabs!ron@hpfcso.hp.com (Ron Miller)
>
>Re: .45 auto folklore

The very first handgun I ever shot was a .38 S&W at AFROTC field training.

When I got back, my Dad gave me a .45 he picked up in Italy at the end
of WWII.  It was chromed, and the plating is peeling off a little
on the lower receiver, and could use a new barrel (after being
stored for about 30 years), but I get decent accuracy
at 25 yards.

I really enjoy shooting it, and don't have any problems with the
recoil.

The Lee-Enfield I have is another story.  I was used to a Marlin
336 in Winchester 30-30 caliber, and I thought that a .303 Enfield
wouldn't be much different.  The first time I fired it, I thought
somebody took a pile driver to my shoulder.

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)