[net.followup] von rospach's ad hominem attack

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (02/12/85)

i am ignoring the attacks on me by total strangers who insist on
defending perlman's mediocrity; these people are misinformed and
easily manipulated.  but von rospach's latest bleatings, in which he
expresses anxiety that he would ever sound like me, border on slander
and beg for a response.

von rospach, your worries are ill-founded.  it is your fate to sound
like a whining adolescent ("no one appreciates all my hard work in
saving the net"), a pathetic social leper ("*sigh*, the net is my
BEST friend, *grin*") or simply a half-witted lunk ("i refuse to take
myself seriously", and most flagrantly "chuqui").

i won't comment on your technical competence; i don't read
net.singles, so i'm not in a position to evaluate it.

now be honest.  you don't really care about perlman do you?  after
all you don't want to defend a 1000 line c program that runs slower
and does less than the five line shell script in kernighan and pike,
or a mammoth menu based shell that doesn't compile, or a comparison
of read and fread based on a 10 line c program (you know, the one
that ran in 0.1 sec), do you?

if you're being perfectly candid, you'll admit that you're still
miffed by the mail i sent you last week.  since you have escalated
this private matter into a public slugfest, why not enlighten "the
net" by posting that note?  and maybe perlman would like to do the
same.

	peter

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (02/13/85)

> i won't comment on your technical competence; i don't read
> net.singles, so i'm not in a position to evaluate it.
>        peter

Actually, it's rather easy to discover the relative "networthiness"
of Honeyman, Pearlman, etc. Just take a look at the latest net stats
from seismo. Both Honeyman and Pearlman are listed as prodigious
news submitters. A comparison of the distribution of newsgroups
these two send news to is quite revealing.

						Ed Sheppard
						Bellcore

bae@fisher.UUCP (Shiva the Destroyer) (02/15/85)

>Actually, it's rather easy to discover the relative "networthiness"
>of Honeyman, Pearlman, etc. Just take a look at the latest net stats
>from seismo. Both Honeyman and Pearlman are listed as prodigious
>news submitters. A comparison of the distribution of newsgroups
>these two send news to is quite revealing.
>
>						Ed Sheppard

Well, well, let's see what we have here:

         No. of       % of
Rank Articles KBytes Total   User
   4    13     220.2  2.3%   perlman@wanginst.UUCP  (Gary Perlman)
			       64% net.sources 21% net.unix 7% net.cog-eng
			       7% net.math.stat
   6    46     120.6  1.3%   chuqui@nsc.UUCP  (Chuqui & MacDuff)
			       22% net.singles 10% net.micro.mac 6% net.news
			       6% net.usenix
  12    11      58.8  0.6%   honey@down.FUN  (code 101)
			       36% net.mail 27% net.rumor 18% net.news
			       9% net.dcom 9% net.sources

Now, if you consider that perlman's net.sources submissions have been
composed of retransmissions of menux which he botched the first n^2
times.......

--
                    Brian A. Ehrmantraut

					Ad Maioram Gloriam Hasturi!

UUCP:   {allegra, astrovax, princeton, twg} !fisher!bae
BELL:   (609) 452-8991 / (609) 734-7761
USnail: 184 Little Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) (02/23/85)

In article <33@epsilon.UUCP> egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) writes:
>Actually, it's rather easy to discover the relative "networthiness"
>of Honeyman, Pearlman, etc. Just take a look at the latest net stats
>from seismo.
>						Ed Sheppard

Please!  Don't keep me in suspense any longer.  Which one posts how
much to which newsgroups?

--
 Blessed Be,

 Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
 Hawthorne, CA 90250