[sci.military] AP_ROUNDS,_REACTIVE_ARMOR

muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller) (01/11/90)

From: muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller)
 gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten) writes:

>What I ment was that the explosive has to be held in some type
>of armoured box.  If the box is half inch plate steel (for
>example) then the penetrator for my HEAT warhead does not need
>to be very heavy duty compared to the 12-15 inches of armour
>that the heat has to penetrate.  It would seem that the
>penetrator would just be turned into more molten jet.  It is
>the box and the slab that the penetrator needs to get through,
>and the less this is, the less dense the penetrator needs to
>be.
>
>As to weight, this might not be significant in tank weapons,
>but would be for missiles.  I was mainly talking about tank
>guns because I had never heard of a penetrtor type weapon in a
>missile system.

   For use in tank guns, there is a much more elegant solution to the
   problem of reactive armor than an improved HEAT round; armor piercing
   rounds. Something that is commonly misunderstood is that the 120mm German
   designed gun (America seems to have problems designing guns, as the 105mm
   gun is a British design) was designed around firing APFSDS ammunnition.
   This stands for Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot.  It is
   fin stabilized so as to allow the round to be longer and thinner than spin
   stabilatization alone will allow.  It for this reason that the gun is a
   smooth-bore (although the improved HEAT capability is appreciated), although
   it is slightly rifled so that the spin of the round matches the spin that
   the fins impart do to being canted for this purpose.

   Upon hitting the reactive armor, the round simply has a little more to
   go through to penetrate the the tank.  The effect of some plastic
   explosives going off as a penetrator of approx. 40mm (I don't have the
   exact figure) impacting at a velocity in the neighborhood of 4000 feet/s
   (muzzle velocity is over 5000 ft/s) is most probably neglible (by the time
   the explosion goes off, the penetrator is probalbly already through the
   reactive armor, possibly well into the main armor).

   In short, HEAT is a good way to make a lightweight weapon that is effective
   against many targets, but AP has always been how tanks kill tanks except in
   extreme cases.

   Disclaimer:  I do not mean to offend anyone.  If anything I say is
		please forgive me, and politely correct my error.

Mark Muller                   Undergaraduate student
	              	      School of Aeronautucs & Astronautics
muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu      Purdue University