[sci.military] Gunless_Fighters

muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller) (01/11/90)

From: muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller)

>I'm pretty sure that the F-101 Voodoo's, F-102 and F-106's were all missile
>platforms. They were all designed, according to what I have read, as
>interceptors against large bomber formations. With that in mind, I know
>the F-101 and probably the others carried the Genie  nuclear air-to-air
>missles for use against formations. They were gyro stablized with no
>active or passive homing gear. The idea being aim at the formation and
>let it go. Loosely equivalent to trying to hit the broad side of a barn.

   Of course, with the Genie it was not neccessary to even hit, as it was
   armed with a small nuclear warhead.  Isn't it good to know that the
   the US Air Force no longer plans to use nuclear armed air-to-air
   missiles anymore.

Mark Muller            Undergrad at Purdue University
muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu