[sci.military] Stealth in Panama

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. De Armond) (01/11/90)

From: rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. De Armond)

In article <12982@cbnews.ATT.COM> jharper%euroies.ucd.ie@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jerry Harper) writes:

>From: Jerry Harper <jharper%euroies.ucd.ie@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Claims that the US used Stealth fighter-bombers in the invasion I personally
>believe must be treated with incredulity.  What possible definitive advantage
>could be gained? and why risk such expensive equipment against such the low-
>tech gear of the Panamanians?

That's entirely credable to me.  When all the brohurah is done, a shooting
war is still needed to fully test weapons, especially weapons that
use technology as sophisticated as the stealth.  I'd expect the military
to take advantage of most any little skirmish to test new weapons'
effectivness.  This fact was mentioned explicitly by both the british
and the argentinian commanders and has been refered to in print regarding
Grenada.  How else other than to shoot at your enemy are you going to
get him to roll out his best countermeasures?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.