[sci.military] Submission for sci.military

wilsonjl@hsdp2.brooks.af.mil (Jonathan L Wilson) (01/12/90)

From: "Jonathan L Wilson" <wilsonjl@hsdp2.brooks.af.mil>

> From: Randy Appleton <randy@ms.uky.edu> (in sci.military Vol 3 No 85)
>
> 1) All the Battleships, and whatever support ships I can toss with them.
> They did LOUSY in Lebanon, don't seem very cost-effective in a real *naval*
> war, and there function (delivering 1000lb warheads, etc) can be taken over
> by other systems (CV's and subs carrying SLCM's, etc..)
> 6) Maybe 10 of the Posiden SSBN's.  Let's convert then to SSN's.  The Navy
> says we need more SSN's, and for that matter ASW ships, and most people
> (at least most right-thinking people |-) feel we have AT LEAST ENOUGH
> strategic nuclear warheads.  Historically, this was done in the past, by
> pouring concrete into Polaris missile tubes and some serious paperwork.
> The savings here is the need to build fewer new SSN's.

Just a bit of comment.

The battleships' virtues include not only heavy gunfire support but also
survivability. I contend that the battleships' guns are still needed, even
though in some situations they are not appropriate (shelling one house without
damaging another, probably without experienced spotters.) Witness the failure
of several U.S. warships to inflict more than superficial damage on an Iranian
oil platform, despite several hours' continuous shelling with 5 inch 54's.

On a side note, I really wish the Navy had seen fit to continue the MCLWG
(medium caliber lightweight gun) project. This would have put a compact 8 inch
gun on each Spruance-class destroyer, at least, and would have considerably
improved naval gunfire capabilities. At the expense of the antiaircraft
capability of the 5 inch, but that must be minimal anyway.

The battleships' other special virtue, survivability, is of course a
questionable one. Like any warship, they are vulnerable beneath the waterline.
But heavy armor topside is also effective against the warship's current
nemesis, the cruise missile. The battleships are probably the ONLY warship in
current U.S. inventory that could take several missile hits and still remain at
least partially effective. (Note that although carriers are larger, they are
more fragile, with several exposed critical points. If you damage a carrier's
catapults or elevators, you have severely curtailed its effectiveness without
affecting its seaworthiness.) The recent turret explosion incident with the
Iowa only reinforces this.

As for conversion of Poseidon missile subs to SSNs, this has been tried before.
I think that several of the former Polaris subs are still in inventory after
having been converted. However, they would not be very effective in that role.
An SSBN's sensor and armament fit is aimed at avoiding detection, not attacking
other submarines/surface warships.  The modern SSN is a very sophisticated and
specialized tool.

Jonathan L Wilson
TRW Systems Integration Group
MILNET: WILSONJL@HQHSD.BROOKS.AF.MIL  (military@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil)