[sci.military] Fighters without guns

dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) (01/09/90)

From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)

I am somewhat familiar with the fighter (and pursuit) planes
used by the U.S. since WWII (although not as familiar as others
on the net are, I'm sure).
I understand that the U.S. went through a phase in the '50s and
early '60s where we considered the gun on a fighter to be obselete.
The prevailing thinking was that all air-to-air engagements would
be fought with missiles.

Now, I don't wish to restart the discussion on why this is not true.
But I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
I do know that most of the F-4's contemporaries did in fact have
internal guns, for example the USAF's F-105 Thunderchief
and the USN's F-8 Crusader.

So I'm wondering what other U.S. fighters have been deployed
without an internal gun.
Does anybody know of any others?
And how about fighters deployed by other countries?
Has the USSR ever deployed a gunless fighter?
I hope that this discussion is of some interest to the newsgroup.
Thanks for the help.
--
Dave J.     (ark2!dlj)                              This space intentionally
usual disclaimer implied                                   left blank.

random@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA) (01/10/90)

From: random@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA)

-
> But I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
> without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
> So I'm wondering what other U.S. fighters have been deployed
> without an internal gun.
The F-111 was a bomb and rocket hauling fighter. It was adapted to accept
an 'electric cannon' in it's bomb bay. It had the minor drawback of
being one of those aircraft that can fly fast enough to shoot itself
down. I don't know if that is true, but it WAS advertised at mach 2.5+.

	Random

terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker) (01/10/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <12928@cbnews.ATT.COM> dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) writes:

>I understand that the U.S. went through a phase in the '50s and
>early '60s where we considered the gun on a fighter to be obselete.
>The prevailing thinking was that all air-to-air engagements would
>be fought with missiles.
>
>Now, I don't wish to restart the discussion on why this is not true.
>But I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
>without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
>I do know that most of the F-4's contemporaries did in fact have
>internal guns, for example the USAF's F-105 Thunderchief
>and the USN's F-8 Crusader.
>
>So I'm wondering what other U.S. fighters have been deployed
>without an internal gun.

The Phantom II is the only one that I am aware of without guns.  The
period you mention was more a de-emphasis on dogfighting than on guns.
The prevailing thinking was that missiles would prevent opposing
aircraft from closing to close range, so dogfight-type training was
ignored.  This concpt manifested itself in the Phantom II because of
its role.  It was designed to be a long range over-water interceptor.
As such it was only expected to fire its missiles in long range
engagements.  Dogfighting was not considered a possibility, and the
gun was deleted to save weight.  At least in part because of possible
ground attack missions, air force versions carried a gun.  The early
experience in Vietnam showed how flawed this thinking was.  In defense
of the navy, they didn't believe close in fighting was impossible.
Back then the navy tended to keep two different types of fighters
around.  The F-8 Crusader complemented the Phantom II well, by being
the dogfighter the Phantom wasn't.  Matter of fact, the last I heard,
the F-8 had the highest kill ratio of individual American aircraft in
Vietnam.  Of course it helps that most of the F-8's were gone by the
late war air offensives, and didn't have to face the much improved air
defenses.

>Has the USSR ever deployed a gunless fighter?
Technically, several early Migs used conformal gun pods.  Since they
were removable, the airframe was gunless.  It's a small detail, and I
am not aware of any major, regular use where the gun pods weren't
installed.  Most fact sheets on the Migs list them with internal guns.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

turner@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (Bob Turner) (01/10/90)

From: udecc!turner@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (Bob Turner)
In article <12928@cbnews.ATT.COM> dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) writes:

>So I'm wondering what other U.S. fighters have been deployed
>without an internal gun.
>Does anybody know of any others?
>And how about fighters deployed by other countries?
>Has the USSR ever deployed a gunless fighter?
>I hope that this discussion is of some interest to the newsgroup.
>Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure that the F-101 Voodoo's, F-102 and F-106's were all missile
platforms. They were all designed, according to what I have read, as
interceptors against large bomber formations. With that in mind, I know
the F-101 and probably the others carried the Genie  nuclear air-to-air
missles for use against formations. They were gyro stablized with no
active or passive homing gear. The idea being aim at the formation and
let it go. Loosely equivalent to trying to hit the broad side of a barn.

	I think there are others US fighters that were  missile only.
F-104? F3H Demon (predesscor to the Navy F4) possibly. But I can't remember.

						Bob
Bob Turner                    Network Manager, School of Engineering
513-229-3171                           turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu
Univ. of Dayton, Engineering Computing Center-KL211, Dayton OH 45469

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (01/10/90)

From: steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In article <12928@cbnews.ATT.COM> dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) writes:

>From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)
>
>[text deleted.....]
>
>Now, I don't wish to restart the discussion on why this is not true.
>But I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
>without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
>I do know that most of the F-4's contemporaries did in fact have
>internal guns, for example the USAF's F-105 Thunderchief
>and the USN's F-8 Crusader.

I remember reading tha after the Air Force F-4 pilots started
screaming for a gun, the SUU-23 gun pod was developed.  It was
hung on the centerline hardpoint.

Later, on the F-4E for the Air Force, it had in internal Vulcan.

The Navy F-4B and F-4J did not have an internal gun.

If you consider the A-4 a fighter, it did not have an internal gun.

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

wjh@wayback.att.com (William J Hery) (01/11/90)

From: wjh@wayback.att.com (William J Hery)

>I understand that the U.S. went through a phase in the '50s and
>early '60s where we considered the gun on a fighter to be obselete...
>But I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
>without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
>
>So I'm wondering what other U.S. fighters have been deployed
>without an internal gun.
>Does anybody know of any others?
>And how about fighters deployed by other countries?
>Has the USSR ever deployed a gunless fighter?

>From "Modern Warplanes" (by Sweetman, Gething, Richardson, Spick, and
Gunston; Portland House, NY, 1987), in the section on F-4 armament:

"In the early 1950s gun armament was considered obsolete by many operators.
In the USA, Britain, and the Soviet Union canonless designs such as the F-86D,
F-102, Lighning, MiG-19PM, and SU-9 were entered into service. This
mistaken trend continued into later designs as the F-106 and SU-15."

The section then describes how the early F-4s didn't have guns, but were
retrofit with gun pods, and that the F-4Es were designed with built in
guns.

Bill Hery
AT&T Bell Labs
201-386-2362
att!wayback!wjh
wjh@wayback.att.COM

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/11/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)
>...I'm trying to think of the fighters that were actually deployed
>without an internal gun, and I can only name one: the F-4 Phantom II.
>I do know that most of the F-4's contemporaries did in fact have
>internal guns, for example the USAF's F-105 Thunderchief
>and the USN's F-8 Crusader.

The F-8 substantially pre-dated the F-4.  It was just early enough to have
guns.  The F-105 was roughly an F-4 contemporary, but its primary mission
was nuclear strike rather than air combat.  (The tell-tale sign of this
is the *small* internal weapons bay.)  I don't know why there was a gun
on the F-105; perhaps for self-defence?

Part of the problem, I think, was a fixation on the interceptor role, as
opposed to air superiority.  The F-4 was definitely meant as an interceptor.
The F-102 and F-106 likewise had no gun armament.  Nor did the even sexier,
but cancelled, F-103 and F-108 interceptors.  For that matter, I don't think
the F-101 had guns, and still earlier interceptors -- specific variants of
the F-86 and F-89 -- didn't either.  The F-86D fired salvos of unguided
rockets, as did the F-89D.  Later F-89s switched to carrying Falcon AAMs.
The F-102 had provisions for rockets but main armament was Falcons.  The
F-106 used Falcon and Genie, although some were later retrofitted with guns.
F-103 armament was going to be, I think, the Eagle AAM, also meant to arm
the Missileer that the Navy started as a Phantom replacement.  (Phoenix is
Eagle's distant descendant via several other abortive projects.)

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner) (01/12/90)

From: gardiner@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Gardiner)
I was talking to a pilot who flew F-4s in Vietnam in the late 1960's
who related this story to me.

The Sidewinders they carried had to travel about a half mile before
they would arm.  Whenever a Phantom would get on the tail of a MiG,
the MiG would hit the brakes, forcing the Phantom to get too close.
Then the external gun pods arrived.  Suffice to say, there were some
VERY surprised MiG pilots finding that their favorite tactics were no
longer such a hot idea.  After a week or so, the VC apparently figured
out what was going on and ceased sending MiGs up to play with the
Phantoms.

roberts@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Stanley) (01/12/90)

From: mitel!sce!cognos!roberts@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Stanley)

Umm, I guess you could add the YF-12A to the list... :-)

It was also my impression that the original Century series birds
for continental air defense were all missile-only (F102 -> F106).

Robert_S
--
 Robert Stanley   UUCP: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!roberts
 Cognos, Inc.     INET: roberts%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net