[sci.military] sci.military

TMARSHALL01@acad.cut.oz (01/20/90)

From: TMARSHALL01@acad.cut.oz

Andrew F. Cowie writes:
> It would seem that two 2000 lbs bombs were deployed in the air attack
> made by American F-117 Stealth Fighters, when 8 planes flew on the
> mission. Why were 8 birds in the air? 8 bombs, 2 released; or Jamming
> support?

Maybe these other 6 planes were fighter escorts. Your idea could also
be considered but if the U.S say there F-117's are so good at evading radar
Why would it need 6 aircraft to jam. One INTRUDER with ECM would be amply.
2. Wouldn't 6 of 7 extra aircraft make them more radar visible
3. does Panama have any good radar??????

sylvain@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Nicholas Sylvain) (01/23/90)

From: sylvain@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Nicholas Sylvain)
In article <13352@cbnews.ATT.COM> TMARSHALL01@acad.cut.oz writes:
:
:Andrew F. Cowie writes:
:> It would seem that two 2000 lbs bombs were deployed in the air attack
:> made by American F-117 Stealth Fighters, when 8 planes flew on the
:> mission. Why were 8 birds in the air? 8 bombs, 2 released; or Jamming
:> support?
:
:Maybe these other 6 planes were fighter escorts. Your idea could also
:be considered but if the U.S say there F-117's are so good at evading radar
:Why would it need 6 aircraft to jam. One INTRUDER with ECM would be amply.

From the information I have seen, eight F-117A were ASSIGNED for Operation
Just Cause, but only two were actually USED in a combat operation.
--
"If you want to play the game, you better know the rules."
                          -- Inspector Harry Callahan (_The Dead Pool_)

Nicholas Sylvain     sylvain@udcps2.cps.udayton.edu or sylvain$n@dayton.bitnet