[sci.military] Surplus ship wanted

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/20/90)

From: uunet!sagpd1!eprice (Eric Price)

	Howdee fellow Netoids,

    Just a silly simple little question, which is as follows:

    Say someone was interested in puchasing a military surplus,
    small ocean going vessel (cutter, survey ship ect ect under
    say 165' and ~800 tonnes) from a domestic, or foreign power
    with a good reputation for producing sea faring vessels.

    How would one go about this; should he contact that particular
    countries Naval Attache', or is there an open (world) surplus
    naval vessel market.

    Enquiering minds demand to know !!!

					Once again,

					Kindest thanks.

					eric gene price

/* formerly of CSC (its not the fall that kills you ...) 1/509 Inf Abn. */
/* BEER BEER BEER said the privates merry men are we there's none so fair */
/* that you dare compare to the AIRBORNE INFANTRY */

ae219dp%prism@gatech.edu (Devon Prichard) (01/22/90)

From: ae219dp%prism@gatech.edu (Devon Prichard)

the pamphlet, "How to buy ... SURPLUS PERSONAL PROPERTY" from the
Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service, available from the
Superintendent of documents, U. S. Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC 20402, has the following categories;

class no.   description
1905A       aircraft carriers (for scrapping only)
1905B       battleships, cruisers, destroyers (" ")
1905C       landing ships LSM, LSMR, LSSL, LST, etc
1905D       minehunters, minesweepers, minelayers
1905E       submarines (" ")
1905F       landing craft LCVP, LCPL, LCM, etc.
1910        transport vessels, passenger and troop
1915        cargo and tanker vessels
  .
  .
  .
1940B       patrol craft PC,PCS,SC,YP,PCE, etc.

I suppose if one was a real, pro-western gov't somewhere,
one could get Uncle Sam to waive the "scrapping purposes only"
condition on the capital ships ...

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) (01/22/90)

From: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen)
eric, yes they are available.
1. pay $ 500 per year & you too can be on a mailing list for each
    government you wish to buy from.
2. contact a government surplus broker - financing sometimes available

3. Outright sales to individuals are very possible - especially outside
    the us. cash in the hand talks (their hand that is)
4. There are publications available to 'qualified' indivuals --  in short
   see your local harbor captain.  Sometimes even the us government advertises
    in these suckers.
5. Try contacting a large oceanic research lab like woods hole Mass Or several
    others.  If you get the right person, they may send a magazine or tell you
    who to call today for......
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (01/23/90)

From: budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
In article <13357@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

>From: uunet!sagpd1!eprice (Eric Price)
>

>    Say someone was interested in puchasing a military surplus,
>    small ocean going vessel (cutter, survey ship ect ect under
>    say 165' and ~800 tonnes) from a domestic, or foreign power
>    with a good reputation for producing sea faring vessels.

Decommissioned CG cutters get offered first to other federal agencies.
Then they get turned over to GSA for auction.  There are some rules
about non-military use and such.

DoD has a Foreign Military Sales establishment that handles turnovers to
allied and other military.  COCOM deals with turnovers to the rest. (:-)

Anyone wanting an ex-CG cutter is under a severe delusion that it ain't
worn out when we are through with it.  Most ex-cutters go to
museums, targets, or scrap (some of the latter through the unaware first).