[sci.military] F/A-18

muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller) (01/22/90)

From: muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller)

>>From: munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz.au!anthony@uunet.UU.NET (Anthony Lee)

>Just a quick question, I was reading this book about warships and there
>was a mention that because of the short endurance (range) of the
>F18s, additional tankers had to be carry on each aircraft carriers.
>This meant fewer attach A6 attack planes can be carried.

>What I don't is, why used the F18s, surely the F14s are a lot better
>for one thing the F14s could carry 6 phoenix missiles whereas the F18s
>could only carry 2 sparrows.

>cheers Anthony

    There are a number of reasons that the F/A-18 is used.  First of all,
    it is much less expensive than an F-14, just as the F-16 is cheaper
    than the F-15.  Second of all, it has the designation F/A for a reason;
    it is suppossed to be an attack plane that can easily defend itself,
    whereas the only mission the F-14 is used for is to defend the fleet.

  *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  *  Mark Muller                  Undergarduate at Purdue University        *
  *  muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu     Aeronautics & Astronautics Engineering    *
  *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: muller@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Mark B. Muller)
>    [F-18] is much less expensive than an F-14, just as the F-16 is cheaper
>    than the F-15....

Ho ho.  That was the idea, all right.  It didn't work out that way after
the USN and USAF got through adding goodies and design changes to the F-18
and F-16 respectively.  How the numbers work out depends on how you do the
accounting, but at one point the F-18's official price actually exceeded
that of the F-14.  The F-16 has never gotten that bad, but the disparity
in cost between it and the F-15 is a lot less than it was supposed to be.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu