[sci.military] Mosquitos as low level bombers

cwj@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Chris Johnson) (02/12/90)

From: cwj@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Chris Johnson)
GSINCLAIR@VAXC.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU (Geoff Sinclair) writes:
>Low level attacks became a specialty of some Mosquito squadrons. In the end
>they became quite good at such strikes as bombing Gestapo occupied buildings,
>even bouncing the bombs off the roadway in front of the building and through
>the front wall. That way collateral damage was minimised.

A fortnight ago I visited the Imperial War Museum in London (UK).
It has a display of some the models of parts of towns around the
target buildings, which were used for briefing pilots for these
low-level raids.  The description of the results show some incredible
accuracy!  (and a few unfortunate misses)

Chris Johnson  (usually at Australian National University
		currently visiting Southampton UK)