[sci.military] Naval Stealth

jln@portia.Stanford.EDU (Jared Nedzel) (02/12/90)

From: jln@portia.Stanford.EDU (Jared Nedzel)

In article <13849@cbnews.ATT.COM> ae219dp%prism@gatech.edu (Devon Prichard) writes:

>our requisition/procurement system is what needs drastic measures;
>to wit, all of our recent naval ship designs have had an extremely
>high radar signature, due to the size of the superstructure above deck.

I'm not so sure about this. The most recent episode of Nova on PBS
indicated that even slightly sloping sides (like those on an Aegis
cruiser superstructure) greatly reduce the RCS. The episode claimed
that the worst thing in terms of RCS was a 90 degree angle. Even
a slightly larger angle (e.g. 100) was said to greatly help matters.

In addition, the show said that navies of some nations are already
using radar absorbent materials on the exterior of superstructures
(in particular, they mentioned the USSR Kirov class).

So, the show implied that just because the Aegis cruisers are tall,
doesn't necessarily mean they have a huge RCS. Of course, I have
no idea if Nova was all that accurate.....

--
Jared L. Nedzel
e-mail: nedzel@cive.stanford.edu