[sci.military] A question about Spruance-class ships

v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (02/06/90)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

Seeing that some of the Spruance-class destroyers have the VLS system in
place of the ASROC launcher, what missles are carried in there since I
am of the understanding the ASROC version for VLS is still in development.
I know they are going to carry Tomahawk, but the Sea Sparrow launcher is
retained.  Is the VLS full of Tomahawks?

Thank you for any help with this.

				Paul

(new to this group)

mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (02/12/90)

From: mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
In article <13765@cbnews.ATT.COM>, v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> From: v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
>
> Seeing that some of the Spruance-class destroyers have the VLS system in
> place of the ASROC launcher, what missles are carried in there since I
> am of the understanding the ASROC version for VLS is still in development.
> I know they are going to carry Tomahawk, but the Sea Sparrow launcher is
> retained.  Is the VLS full of Tomahawks?

Currently we can't afford to put all Tomahawks in the Sprucans VLS.  There has
been some discussion about filling the magazine with SM-2ER and usig the
destroyer as a floating magazine for the Aegis guys.  This is probably the best
use of the VLS cells since an ASROC is pretty much a worthless weapon against
submarines anyway (small warhead, limited range, if the surface ship has to
depend upon current ship-launched weapons to defeat the submarine, the ship is
in big trouble, however using TACTASS, SURTASS and ship-borne air assets, the
battle is at least even and perhaps in the ASW guys favor).  Anyway I don't
think much of anything but a few Tomahawks are being out in the cells now.  I
could be out of date, I've been off active duty for a few years.

Mike Fisher
Fire Control Officer
Gunnery Officer
1st Lieutenant
Combat Information Center Officer         USS DEYO  DD989

terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker) (02/12/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <13765@cbnews.ATT.COM> v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Seeing that some of the Spruance-class destroyers have the VLS system in
>place of the ASROC launcher, what missles are carried in there since I
>am of the understanding the ASROC version for VLS is still in development.
>I know they are going to carry Tomahawk, but the Sea Sparrow launcher is
>retained.  Is the VLS full of Tomahawks?

Presently Tomahawks are all that can be carried by Spruances.  The
goal is to have VL ASROC (or its successor), and a VL Harpoon.
Unfortunately the funding situation being what it is, they may end up
carrying only Tomahawks.  It won't be the first time planned element
of the Spruance class was dropped.  They were planned to get the
Advanced Lightweight 8" gun before that program was cancelled. In one
of the better examples of bungling, the gun was designed to utilize
laser guided projectiles (using a now defunct optical fire control
system), so the accuracy with dumb rounds was not important.  then the
weapon wasa cancelled because the dumb round accuracy was bad (they
weren't sure the optical director would get funded).  The current VLS
can only carry Tomahawk.  Whether they are full of Tomahawks is
another question.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (02/13/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <13765@cbnews.ATT.COM> v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Seeing that some of the Spruance-class destroyers have the VLS system in
>place of the ASROC launcher, what missles are carried in there since I
>am of the understanding the ASROC version for VLS is still in development.
>I know they are going to carry Tomahawk, but the Sea Sparrow launcher is
>retained.  Is the VLS full of Tomahawks?

The Mk 41 VLS can carry: Tomahawks and SM2MRs. However, the SM2MR
cannot be used in the Mk 41 VLS Spruance ships, because some
electronic boxes was not purchased with the Mk 41 VLS units. They,
could be added later though. (Spruances have SPG-60 illuminators.)

Currently, that leaves only Tomahawks. If fully loaded, these
Supruance VLS units have quite a mean surface strike capability.

In the future, Mk 41 VLS should be able to carry a greater variety of
missiles. Standoff ASW capability would be provided in the form of VLS
ASROC and/or Sea Lance. (Last I heard, Sea Lance is becoming more
popular at the expense of VLS ASROC, because of its greater range and
because it can be used in subs too.)

Eventually, some form of SM2ER should be available also. The ER
booster is bigger than the MR one. In current versions of the ER, the
booster plus its fins are too big to handle in the missile magazines.
So the booster is stored without its fins. Just before the missile is
rammed onto the launcher, the fins are manually attached. Basically,
only the Mk 10 launcher can deal with all of this. The way around the
problem is to have a booster that uses thrust vectoring instead of
fins. The vectoring version (Block 4?) should also be available for
VLS.

Finally, there are various people looking into putting the point
defense missiles into the VLS. Since these missiles are smaller than
the other types, most schemes involve stuffing a few in each cell.

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696

stefan@sunrise.Stanford.EDU (Stefan Michalowski) (02/13/90)

From: stefan@sunrise.Stanford.EDU (Stefan Michalowski)

The VLS system for the Spruance class destroyers could carry Tomahawk
(both nuclear and conventional weapons variants), the Harpoon (a short
range antiship conventional cruise missile) and the Standard missile
(SM-2) which is used for fleet air defense.  As far as ASROC, I'm not
sure but I would susp=ect that this system is compatible with VLS.  I
am not aware of the Sea Sparrow system.

john harvey
center for international security and arms control
stanford university