[sci.military] More Blackbird Stuff

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (OFV) (02/22/90)

From: Mary Shafer (OFV) <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Mike Tighe <mjt@ncsc.ncsc.org> writes:

>munnari!vaxa.uwa.OZ.au!G_AHRENDT@uunet.UU.NET writes:

>> A single YF-12C was constructed as a trainer and used as the prototype for
>> the SR-71.

>The YF-12C was an SR-71A (64-17951). It was "detuned" for NASA use. Since
>it was an SR-71A it did not have a dual cockpit, I doubt it was used as a
>trainer.

All SR-71s are two-seat aircraft.  As were all YF-12s.

I have some beautiful pictures of the two NASA Blackbirds in flight
together.  Both two-seaters.  In fact, one of my photos is autographed
by the _four_ crew members.

The two NASA aircraft were 935, a YF-12A, and 937, a YF-12C.  I
believe, on the basis of no reliable information, that the difference
between the YF-12 and the SR-71 _airframes_ was the engines, but I
don't really know.  The NASA aircraft didn't have any of the
recconaisence (sp?) equipment, of course.

The YF-12A is at the Air Force Museum, where you can see it up close.
Two seats.

It is true that the aircraft are not trainers, but that has nothing
to do with the number of seats in the aircraft.  If you mean "dual"
in the sense of duplicate cockpits, no, they're not.  If you mean "dual"
in the accepted aircraft sense of two cockpit, yes, they're dual.