[sci.military] Blackbirds

G_AHRENDT@uunet.UU.NET (03/06/90)

From: munnari!vaxa.uwa.OZ.au!G_AHRENDT@uunet.UU.NET
>All SR-71s are two-seat aircraft.  As were all YF-12s.

A-11's, A-12's, YF-12A's are 1 seater aircraft
YF-12C, SR-71A's are 2 seater aircraft
SR-71B's, SR-71C are 2 seater aircraft with raised rear cokpits

>I have some beautiful pictures of the two NASA Blackbirds in flight
>together.  Both two-seaters.  In fact, one of my photos is autographed
>by the _four_ crew members.

Strange, according to my information NASA used 3 Blackbirds : 60-6935,60-6936 &
60-6937. 935 & 936 being 1 seaters and 937 being a 2 seater. Stating that the
YF-12C was built with a longer fuselage ( in comparision to the YF-12A ) to
include a second cockpit, thus indicating that the YF-12A's were 1 seaters.
Are you certain that the photo of NASA 935 is a 2 seater?

>The two NASA aircraft were 935, a YF-12A, and 937, a YF-12C.  I
>believe, on the basis of no reliable information, that the difference
>between the YF-12 and the SR-71 _airframes_ was the engines, but I
>don't really know.  The NASA aircraft didn't have any of the
>recconaisence (sp?) equipment, of course.

The YF-12A in comparision to the SR-71A had the chines cut back to clear the
nose radome and the nose is flatter, to increase directional stability folding
center-line underfins were added as well as 2 fixed stub-fins under the
nacelles.

>The YF-12A is at the Air Force Museum, where you can see it up close.
>Two seats.

What SN is in the Museum?
You seem to be very sure, i hope you can enlighten me on this.