[sci.military] Manual Question

yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) (02/27/90)

From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Hello,

	Does anyone know of a manual for conducting small unit combat? One
	that is NOT classified, and may be freely obtained...

	Thanks in advance,

	Sgt (res.) Marc A. Volovic

	via yaniv@shum.huji.ac.il

scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron) (03/01/90)

From: scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron)

In article <14337@cbnews.ATT.COM>, yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) writes:

> 	Does anyone know of a manual for conducting small unit combat? One
> 	that is NOT classified, and may be freely obtained...
> 	Sgt (res.) Marc A. Volovic
One publication (not an FM, but a useful reference that occasionally includes
material on small unit combant) is RED THRUST STAR, the quarterly magazine of
the Fort Irwin OPFOR -- the people who ALWAYS win at NTC.

>From the masthead:
	"RED THRUST STAR" is published by US Forces Command OPFOR
	Training section of the S@, 177th Armored Bde, Fort Irwin
	California 92310-5031.  The purpose of RTS is to publish
	timely authoritative information on OPFOR training to
	increase the knowledge and understanding of OPFOR training
	throughout the Armed Forces.  Articles published reflect the
	views of the authors and should not be interpreted as the
	official opinion of the Department of the Army, or of any
	branch, command, or agency of the Army.  Material may be
	reprinted, providing credit is given to RTS and to the
	authors, except where copyright is indicated.  Articles,
	photographs, and new items of interest on all facets of
	OPFOR training is solicited.  Direct communication is
	authorized to Editor, RED THRUST STAR, c/o S-2, 177th
	Armored Brigade, Fort Irwin, CA 92310-5031.  Subscriptions
	are available from the same address.  Distribution
	Restriction: Approved for public release; distribution is
	unlimited.  RED THRUST STAR is published quarterly."

They don't specify the cost, if any, of a subscription.  I get my
copy through my ARNG unit.

--
S.D. Cameron   | "...the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear  |  AOPA | 50 yrs
Univ. of Wash. | arms shall not be infringed." -- U.S. Const.  |      -+-

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (03/06/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <14337@cbnews.ATT.COM> yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) writes:

>From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>Hello,
>
>	Does anyone know of a manual for conducting small unit combat? One
>	that is NOT classified, and may be freely obtained...

the RANGER HANDBOOK is about the best i've seen,  or look into COMBAT TRAINING
of the INDIVIDUAL SOLDIER (FM 11-75 ???).

*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/