[sci.military] Burt Rutan Goes Military

daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) (03/01/90)

From: daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault)

Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
flight around the world has designed and constructed a military jet. At the
cost of $2million to his personal company in R&D Rutan's fighter is ready to
be offered to the military. It is a fairly small jet with top speed ~500mph.
Obviously it is fully aerobatic, and despite the somewhat slow top speed is
reputed to have excellent power to weight ratio. It is made primarily out of
Carbon-fiber and kevlar composites(can you say Stealth?) and has excellent
low alltitude handleing charateristics. Powered by a Pratt&Whitney turbofan,
the plane has some unusual features. It is Asymmetric. The cockpit and the
engine are slightly offcenter and the intake for the jet is on one side to
avoid the smoke from the 20mm cannon that is going to be mounted in the nose.
I think it is supposed to be mounted along the same lines as the vulcan
cannon in an Eagle. It has large canards in the front which are reputed to
give it excellent low speed control as well as the low altitude handling.

Mission profile? Rutan thinks that this small quiet little plane can fly in
to someplace, say off of a carrier at about 100' off the ground and be able
to slip in under detection and destroy or accompany whatever it is supposed
to. Rutan also feels that this aircraft can fight effectively against current
military fighters, because of its size, quick responsiveness and very small
turning radius. It should be able to carry a few missles as well. I've just
seen pictures of the plane, but it looks like typical futuristic Rutan style.
I don't know whether the military is going to take him seriously or not, but
the plane is very efficient for a jet and has excellent range(more than 25%
by wieght of the aircraft is fuel under full load). It also seems like it
could be really hard to detect. It doesn't look like it could absorb much
damage though...If nothing else it looks like a heck of alot of fun to fly.

Dan Perreault
Engr. Computing Services
University of Washigton

oconnor@disney.crd.ge.com (Dennis O'Connor) (03/03/90)

From: oconnor@disney.crd.ge.com (Dennis O'Connor)
>From CNN Headline News :

The "Aries" or "Ares"(?) is the name of Rutan's new plane. It is designed
to carry a 20mm cannon with 500 rounds or so and four Stinger missiles.
It has a range of 1400 nautical miles (pretty good) and weighs only
6500 pounds when "dry".
  Dennis O'Connor      OCONNORDM@CRD.GE.COM      UUNET!CRD.GE.COM!OCONNOR
  "Let's take a little off the top ... a bit off the sides ...
    trim the back a bit ... Surprise ! You've been bald-ed !"

ae219dp%prism@gatech.edu (Devon Prichard) (03/03/90)

From: ae219dp%prism@gatech.edu (Devon Prichard)

From: daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault)

>Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
>flight around the world has designed and constructed a military jet. ...
>It is a fairly small jet with top speed ~500mph.

with the current level of capability of SAMs, the typical altitude of a
fighter mission may well be below 300 ft AGL. in that case, supersonic flight
is rarely possible. the aerodynamic and structural penalties for a
supersonic-capable wing are quite high, so by limiting a fighter to
subsonic or transonic flight, substantial improvements in range,
payload, and low speed manueverability are made possible. most dogfight-type
encounters quickly drop down to the 300-400 knot speed (due to the
massive increase in drag at high G-levels overcoming the excess thrust
of the engine).  I imagine most fighter pilots in the dogfight scenario
would prefer more Sidewinders and fuel.

likewise, for both the attack and interdiction missions, supersonic
speed is not necessary. however, due to the time between bomber detection
and standoff missile launch, _sustained_ supersonic speed would be very
useful for the interception role.

I suppose trying to cover all attack/CAS/air defense/interception roles
with one aircraft is like trying to use a Corvette on a farm; it gets
you to the store fast, but not so good for mowing hay.

 | Devon Prichard             making the world safe for helicopters ... |
 | ae219dp@prism.gatech.edu                                             |

bwood%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood) (03/03/90)

From: bwood%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood)

In article <14403@cbnews.ATT.COM> daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) writes:

>Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
>flight around the world ...

Burt designed the voyager.  Brother Dick flew it.

                 Blake P. Wood - bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU
                 Plasmas and Non-Linear Dynamics, U.C. Berkeley, EECS

2fjmvery@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/05/90)

From: 2fjmvery@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
In article <14403@cbnews.ATT.COM>, daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) writes:

>Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
> flight around the world has designed and constructed a military jet.

Where and when were the pictures published?

Jim Sisul
The University of Kansas

daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) (03/06/90)

From: daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault)

In article <14468@cbnews.ATT.COM> 2fjmvery@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>From: 2fjmvery@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>In article <14403@cbnews.ATT.COM>, daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) writes:
>>
>>Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
>> flight around the world has designed and constructed a military jet.
>
>Where and when were the pictures published?
>
>Jim Sisul
>The University of Kansas

The article that I paraphrased in my post came from the Seattle Times a local
newspaper. I found it to be an interesting article so I posted it, I personally
have yet to really decided whether I like it or not.  I don't remember the exact
date of the paper, but it was the day before my original post.

Dan Perreault
Engr. Computing Services
University of Washington

root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser) (03/06/90)

From: grumbly!root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser)

->In article <14403@cbnews.ATT.COM>, daniel@blake.acs.washington.edu (Daniel Perreault) writes:
->>
->>Burt Rutan, the man who designed and co-piloted the first non-refueled non-stop
->> flight around the world has designed and constructed a military jet.

You'll probably get a million flames on this one -- brother Dick was the
co-pilot.  The jet is odd in that it has an asymetrical single engine,
probably offset on the other side by a cannon.

Is everyone going to watch the SR71 trying for the Palmdale-Washington record?