[sci.military] Depleted uranium rounds

V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO) (04/10/90)

From: "IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO" <V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
From: uwm!carroll1.cc.edu!tkopp@uunet.UU.NET (Tom Kopp)
(Addition to this letter)

>In article <15220@cbnews.ATT.COM> mathers@trlsasb.trl.oz (Steven Mathers) writes:
>>What can anyone tell me about ammo using depleted uranium?
>
>The GAU-8 cannon in our A-10 aircraft uses it.  This is a 30mm gatling gun,
>basically, mounted in the nose of the airplane.  I have a picture of a man
>holding one of the rounds.  The entire round is approximately the lenght of
>his forearm, and the depleted uranium projectile appears to be about 4-5
>inches long and (obvioulsy) 30mm in diameter.  The projectile retains
>a 'tubular' shape for about the first inch or so, then tapers to a point.

In a book I have, there is a picture of a man standing next to the muzzle
of the gun, and it is as big as his head.

It's a seven barrel gun if you're not familiar with it.  It is mounted
pointing down at a 2-degree angle to help keep the gases from obstructing the
view of the pilot when firing.  There were problems early on with these gases.
One incident resulted in engine flameout and the pilot having to eject.
To allow the gun to be mounted with the barrel that's firing at the
centerline, they were forced to move the nosegear off to one side.  I have
also seen a picture of the cart used to load the gun (used in many books)
and it is a monster requiring at least two men to move it.

>>What actually happens when the bullet/shell/missile hits the target?
>
>I laugh hysterically.  I have a tape that has a shot of an A-10 diving
>on a tank, and firing 4 bursts from the cannon in rapid succession.  (bursts
>about 1/4 second long, and 1/2 second between bursts, approx.)  Then they
>show what happens to the tank.  The tank gains quite a number of
>perforations in it's armor.  Then sparks begin to fly.  Then there's a real
>nasty explosion that makes a VERY visible displacement of it's main gun.
>
>Basically what happens is the rounds have so much kinetic energy that they
>literally punch right through the armor and keep on going.  Usually the
>rounds will punch right through to the fuel tanks or the magazine.  At
>that point, it's all over for the tank.
>--

Also, there is also the intended hope that the shrapnel from this (and other
rounds used against tanks) will bounce around inside the tank and turn the
crewmembers into hamburger.  Cheerful thought, ain't it?

				Joe Friday

Just the VAX, ma'am

Real name:  Paul Stacy                        V059L49Z@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Alias:  Joe Friday                            V059L49Z@UBVMSD.BITNET
State University of New York at Buffalo       |---------------------------|

						  might work by accident

Disclaimer:  That which you read is not necessarily the opinion of the school,
             the police dept, Chief of Detective Staff Brown, Planet
             Spaceball, or Starfleet Command.

"Unless your growing, sit down!" - Jack Webb -  Dragnet (1955)