[sci.military] Hello Anybody out there???

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (04/10/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <15317@cbnews.ATT.COM>, geoffm@purplehaze.Central.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) writes:

> From: geoffm@purplehaze.Central.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
>

>>>From: simpkins@manta.nosc.mil (Michael A. Simpkins)
>>>
>>>	Isn't this the plane that the U.S. say's that Libya is using to
>>>   develop their in-flight refueling techniques?  I think the report I read
>>>   said that they were using a converted Starlifter as the tanker.
> 				           ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> More likely an Ilyushin Il-76; the C-141 was never sold abroad.

	According to an article I read several months ago (either in Janes
Defence Weekly or International Defence Review) the Libyans were initially
trying with a C130 Hercules with a single point refueling system hung out the
cargo hatch.  The reciever aircraft was apparently a Mirage F1.  However the
disparities in speed between the two aircraft prevented the tests from being
successful. The report finally finished up by saying that it was more than
likely that an IL76 would be tried next as a tanker aircraft has that would
cure the speed problem when carrying a full load of fuel.  It did not however
suggest where the Libyans might have gotten a hold of an inflight refuelling
system from, although an in country solution had not been ruled out.  The
usefulness of a single point system though brings into question whether
Libya can really develop a useful air-to-air refueling system.

Brian Ross

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (04/10/90)

From: vrdxhq!pbs!btiffany

In article <15051@cbnews.ATT.COM>, zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth J Zarda)
	writes:
> From: zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kenneth J Zarda)
>
>    Have the Soviets sold the SU-27 to any body? I know that they have sold
>    the Mig-29 to a host of nations. So if they have't why not. They need the
>    hard currency.

	I originally responded to this that Syria had purchased SU-27 and
MiG-29 aircraft.  I later double-checked and found that it was not Su-27s,
but Su-24s that Syria had purchased.  I also noticed that the Soviet Union
is supposed to help India set up its own production line to manufacture
MiG-29s.