[sci.military] Depleted Uranium and more...

ESVENSSON%brage.qz.se@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (04/11/90)

From: ESVENSSON%brage.qz.se@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

>From: sagpd1!jharkins@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Harkins)
>
>Is depleted uranium radioactive?  If so, how do they store it, both in ammo
>dumps and on the A-10?  If it's not radioactive then isn't it just lead?
>Excuse me if these seem stupid questions, but I would like to know.
>
>[mod.note:  DU is "mildly" radioactive, being a fairly stable uranium
>isotope.  Can any of you put a number to that "mildly" ? - Bill ]

If I remeber correctly, the half-life of du is about 4E9 years.
The ammo is treated just as any other ammo. It's not lead. Yet. But given
enough time it will be. On eproblem is that uranium-dioxide is poisonus.
The DU (stab-alloy is the name) armor on the M-1a(3?) will be covered with
something to keep it from poisoning the crew.

[mod.note:  Hmmm... I wonder if the use of such a toxic round could be
considered chemical warfare ?  8-)  - Bill ]

  Richard Ducoty                               ..uunet!grumbly!root
   Capitola, Calif                                root@grumbly.com
writes:
>What happens when it is used against reactive or other modern armor?

Reactive armor is not effective against KE-penetrators.

>Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews) writes

(stuff about soviet tactics..)
>They didn't speculate on the reasoning behind the Soviet policy, but my guess
>is that it reflects 1) the higher cost of transport, and 2) Soviet need to
>minimize command-and-control complexity due to the relatively poor quality
>of their troops and officers.

The above _might_ be a factor. What I've read points more to the fact that
according to Soviet doctrine, the war shall not be fought on Soviet soil.
Also, according to Soviet writing, offensiv warfare, properly executed, will
always defeat defensive warfare. For offensive warfare to be effective the
Soviets has recognised that the pace must be kept up, and the enemy not
given the chance to respond effectively. To pull a divsion out of the line
always takes time, so therefore it's better,according to the Soviets, to
keep the unit attacking unil it's spent. Then the second echolon can keep
up the attack. This way, the enemy is just reacting to the attackers actions,
and therefore being on defensive.

Erik Svensson
Guided Weapons Division
National Defense Research Establishment (FOA)
Stockholm, Sweden