[sci.military] Soviet "Tanks" in Newsweek -- really SP howitzers?

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) (04/10/90)

From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)
>From: wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld)
>Might these have been self-propelled howitzers (along with some
>auxiliary vehicles/ammo haulers?)

Award yourself a prize!  I think you're right, and I think they're the
2S1 122mm SP Howitzer.  The 2S1 is close to a clone of our M109A1 in
terms of SP design, and has their battle-proven cannon from the D-30.

What was interesting about that is that I understood that the 2S1 was
mostly confined to the Level-1 units in East Germany.  According to
Isby (2nd ed), there are 2 Level-2 Tank Divisions in the Baltic
Military District, and either the 2S1 has been fielded to these (Level
2) Tank Divisions, or they've been moved there from a Level-1 unit
somewhere.

(For those of you not familiar with Soviet doctrine, they have 3
Levels of unit readiness.  Level-1 is "go to war", and is the level
of units in East Germany, for instance.  Level 2 is about 80% fill,
and Level 3 is cadre, about 20% fill, of both men and equipment.)

					dave emery
					CPT, FA, NHARNG
					emery@aries.mitre.org
p.s.  I wonder how many people in my Guard unit would get the ID
right?

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (04/11/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <15386@cbnews.ATT.COM> emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:

>					dave emery
>					CPT, FA, NHARNG
>					emery@aries.mitre.org
>p.s.  I wonder how many people in my Guard unit would get the ID
>right?

hopefully your FO's would... or don't they train in target surveillance/
acquisition and battlefield intelligence anymore?

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

chamber@ee.udel.edu (04/11/90)

From: chamber@ee.udel.edu
"The 2S1 is close to a clone of our M109A1 in terms of SP design, and has
 their battle-proven cannon from the D-30."

I think you mean the 2S3 152mm Howitzer. It is similar to the M109A1+ both
visually and in caliber.

Sam Chamberlain