[sci.military] Soviet Doctrine

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (04/11/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <15390@cbnews.ATT.COM> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

>Soviet operational doctrine does things this way; they burn up whole
>formations, dissolve them and use the few survivors for cadre or repple-depple.
>By contrast, U.S. and NATO doctrine is (when possible) to rotate a formation
>out when it's taken 40%-60% casualities and rebuild it.
>
>My source for this was an article on the armies of Europe in an S&T years back.
>They didn't speculate on the reasoning behind the Soviet policy, but my guess
>is that it reflects 1) the higher cost of transport, and 2) Soviet need to
>minimize command-and-control complexity due to the relatively poor quality
>of their troops and officers.

There are other advantages to the soviet doctrine of treating units
like rounds of ammunition.  Pulling a unit out of line and briefing
its replacement takes time, and coordination.  If you push a unit
until it burns up, then the next unit is simply assigned objectives
based on the performance of the first unit.  The units are more
homogeneous.  In the Western system you will have units that have half
combat veterans and half green troops.  The expertixe may help the
green troops, but their inexperience may kill more of the experienced
troops.  In the Soviet system the initial quality is uniform within a
unit (I am aware of the Soviet 6 month rotation cycle).  When the
cadres are reformed into a unit they will all be combat veterans.  So
the Soviet system would tend to place very experienced units against
the units of mixed experience in the Western armies.

There is another interpretation to Soviet doctrine that explains this
policy, but the rationale for it is also that it speedsup the Soviet
advance.  Most Western analysis assumes that Soviet second and third
line divisions are mobilization cadres like Western counterparts.  At
least one analyst believes that these units will NOT wait for
mobilization before moving to the front.  They will fill out using the
men and equipment from the burned out units.  This will result in a
mix of experience and euqipment, but remember the fixed soviet
doctrine doesn't allow much latitiude.  It doesn't matter that there
are T64s and T80s in the same platoon.  Can you imagine trying to run
a mixed platoon of M60s and M1s?  If this is the rationale for soviet
doctrine it would allow them to concentrate their forces much quicker
than the Western forces.  The first line units start the attack, and
the second line units immediately move to marshalling areas.  As units
are burned out, they fill out the second line units.  Mobilized forces
would also probably be used.  Then when the first line units get
burned out, the second line units assume the attacke.  The first line
units wait in place to be filled out by thirde line units.

Compare this to NATO deploying first line units, then waiting for the
second line units to mobilize.  Then you have the complicated turnover
so the first lines units can replenish.  The overall sustainable pace
by the Soviet system is much greater.  The question is then whether
their infrastructure can support all of this activity.

There is one further advantage to the Soviet system that the Germans
encountered in WWII.  By not rebuilding units it complicates the
intelligence operations of your enemy.  What was the 54th MR
regiment, may now be the 76th MR regiment.  The 23rd Tank regiment is
now the tank battalion (due to losses) in the 41st MR regiment.  The
mix of equipment would also cause confusion.  "I thought the 41st MR
regiment was a BTR regiment, we do they have T80s?

The Soviets may be hampered with a conscript army and poor C2
facilities (at least compared to the West), but that doesn't
necessarily make them disadvantages.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu