[sci.military] variable geometry wings

jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach ) (04/07/90)

From: jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach )

In article <15314@cbnews.ATT.COM> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:

>question:  Is that an F-5 or an F-20 in the background of the Chuck Yeager car
>commercial?  Never got a good look at it...F-5s seem to be one of the more
>common fighters seen in movies/TV.  Don't get to see many F-15s.

  It is an F-20 Tigershark. Chuck Yeager was a test pilot for the F-20
  before the program was scratched.
  I have seen T-38s and F-4s in movies alot. I think there was an F-105
  in "Apocalypse Now", but my memory could be wrong.

Jon Steinbach
jons@oscsunb.osc.edu

gwh%headcrash.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (04/10/90)

From: gwh%headcrash.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
In article <15318@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)
>>... Changing the wing sweep in maneuver allows the pilot to trade off drag
>>for lift potential, allowing the pilot to choose between speed and turning
>>ability.  The Tomcat has an automatic system that can control this...
>
>One negative aspect of automatic variable sweep, pointed out in Shaw's book
>on air combat, is that you can tell quite a bit about your opponent's speed
>and energy (maneuvering potential) by watching his sweep angle.

This is a good clue...until the VG pilot suspects it's being used.  There was
a short spate of SUCKER-bang kills on top gun instructors a few years back
when the trainees figured that the instructors were relying a lot on the wing
sweep.

The book, Shaw's _Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering_ is excellent, and
has been discussed here before.  Anyone wanting to know about actual combat
air-to-air maneuvering and tactics is reccomended to buy a copy.

George William Herbert     JOAT For Hire: Anything, Anywhere: My Price
UCB Naval Architecture undergrad: Engineering with a Bouyant Attitude :-)
gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu <= prefered [also gwh@soda.berk.. and maniac@garnet.berk..]
	Give me a billion dollars and two years and I'll build you a space
	station you'll never forget.
"Pull up!   NO, NOT THAT UP!" CRUNCH

creps@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (04/10/90)

From: creps@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps)
In article <15314@cbnews.ATT.COM> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:
>if they were still using F-5s or if they moved on to other aircraft.  I recall
>hearing somewhere that the Navy was moving to F-18s for their Aggressor aircraft
>but cannot recall where or when I read/heard this.

   I haven't heard anything about that myself, although it may be true.
If not, maybe what you are thinking about are the Blue Angels, who recently
changed from F-4's to F-18's.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps
creps@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (129.79.1.6)
{inuxc,rutgers,uunet!uiucdcs,pur-ee}!iuvax!silver!creps

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (OFV) (04/10/90)

From: Mary Shafer (OFV) <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

>From: jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach )
>Newsgroups: sci.military
>Subject: Re: variable geometry wings
>Date: 7 Apr 90 05:13:59 GMT

>From: jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach )

>In article <15314@cbnews.ATT.COM> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:
>>
>>question:  Is that an F-5 or an F-20 in the background of the Chuck Yeager car
>>commercial?  Never got a good look at it...F-5s seem to be one of the more
>>common fighters seen in movies/TV.  Don't get to see many F-15s.
>>
>  It is an F-20 Tigershark. Chuck Yeager was a test pilot for the F-20
>  before the program was scratched.

It's true that Yeager flew the F-20, but he was _not_ a test pilot on
the program.  The F-20 was supplied for the commercials because
Northrop wanted publicity for the program.

There was a certain amount of amusement (and a little annoyance) among
the Northrop test force members when these commercials came out.

You'll notice that Chuck also sold himself to Northrop as a good
spokesman for those feel-good-about-Northrop commercials with the B-2.
Apparently the company got the restricting order lifted, since we're
seeing these again.

Another reason that you see a lot of F-5s in ads is that there's a
privately owned F-5 that can be hired very reasonably.  I know one of
the owners and he says that the ads cover most of the operating costs
of the plane, which is a real relief to him.

>  I have seen T-38s and F-4s in movies alot. I think there was an F-105
>  in "Apocalypse Now", but my memory could be wrong.

The napalm drop was by Philipines Air Force F-5s.  I don't remember
seeing a Thud (F-105) and the Philipines AF doesn't fly them, so it's
unlikely.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/11/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: "IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO" <V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
>
> A-4's are used to simulate MiG-17's.  Though
> this MiG is old, it is still around in some countries.  The Navy has picked
> up some F-16's to simulate newer Soviet aircraft.  These replaces Israeli-
> designed C-2 Kfir aircraft on loan to us from them.  I understand these
> have been returned now.

Some of them may still be flying with Marine pilots.  (At least a recently as
last July 4.)

------------
"Up the airey mountain, down the rushy glen,
   we daren't go a-hunting for fear of little men..."
('cause Fish and Game has taken to hiring axe-carrying dwarves)

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/11/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: uwm!carroll1.cc.edu!tkopp@uunet.UU.NET (Tom Kopp)
	[ in _Top Gun_ ]
> In article <15230@cbnews.ATT.COM> nelson_p@apollo.com writes:
> >   And on another topic, it appeared the filmmakers chose F5 Tigersharks
> F-5E Tiger II's to be precise.  The 'Tigershark' was the (now abandoned)
> F-20 project.  The two planes do look very similar, however.
> >   for the "MIG"s in the final dogfight scene.  Any idea why?  What
>
> Actually they used them for "MiG-28s" in the opening and closing sequences,
> as well as one of the aggressor aircraft at Top Gun.  Why?  See Below.
>
> >   MIG would this plane most closely resemble?  Since they were getting
> >   the cooperation of the DoD in this film, would it have made more
> >   sense to try to use, say, F15's, which somewhat resemble MIG29's?

F/A-18 Hornets would look quite a bit more like MiG-29's than do F-15's.

The F-5 is roughly the same size as a MiG-21, which is flown by lots of
different countries.  Above 30,000' or so the MiG-21 has a distinct edge,
and below 15,000' or so the F-5 has the edge.

The F-5 (and A-4) make pretty good sense as agressor mounts for roughly the
same reasons.

------------

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <15409@cbnews.ATT.COM>, creps@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) writes:

> From: creps@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps)
> In article <15314@cbnews.ATT.COM> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:
> >if they were still using F-5s or if they moved on to other aircraft.  I recall
> >hearing somewhere that the Navy was moving to F-18s for their Aggressor aircraft
> >but cannot recall where or when I read/heard this.
>
>    I haven't heard anything about that myself, although it may be true.
> If not, maybe what you are thinking about are the Blue Angels, who recently
> changed from F-4's to F-18's.

The Blue Angels transitioned from F-11F-1 Super Tigers to A-4 Skyhawks to
F/A-18 Hornets over a couple of decades.

The Thunderbirds (U.S.A.F.) flew F-4's for a while, but left them for less
fuel-hungry T-38 Talons and now fly F-16's.  (Fighting Falcon is a dumb
name...I like Electric Jet a lot better.)

------------

jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach ) (04/12/90)

From: jons@osc.edu (Jon Steinbach )

In article <15454@cbnews.ATT.COM> fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>fuel-hungry T-38 Talons and now fly F-16's.  (Fighting Falcon is a dumb
>name...I like Electric Jet a lot better.)

  When the debate over what name for the F-16 arose the fighter pilots
  wanted it to be called the Viper, but this was not used because, among
  other reasons, this name was already used in a TV series "Battlestar
  Gallactica" for a type of fighter/spaceship.

Jon Steinbach
jons@oscsunb.osc.edu

geoffm@purplehaze.Central.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (04/12/90)

From: geoffm@purplehaze.Central.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

In article <15454@cbnews.ATT.COM> fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>The Blue Angels transitioned from F-11F-1 Super Tigers to A-4 Skyhawks to
>F/A-18 Hornets over a couple of decades.

They flew F-4's for a few years in the late Sixties/early Seventies, between
the Tigers and the A-4's.

>The Thunderbirds (U.S.A.F.) flew F-4's for a while, but left them for less
>fuel-hungry T-38 Talons and now fly F-16's.

This was during the same time frame that the Blue Angels had *their* F-4's.
Not a lot of variety in those days.

Geoff Miller

Geoff Miller				+  No clever .sig file today.
geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com		+       ----- ///// -----