[sci.military] Soldier-slaves in the South

bwood%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood) (04/12/90)

From: bwood%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood)

In article <15412@cbnews.ATT.COM> greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Gregory K. Ramsey) writes:
>It was the policy of the Confederate forces to kill any black soldier
>and his white officer captured, any of the black soldiers not killed
>outright were sold into slavery.

It's worth noting that the Confederate congress voted to allow slaves
to serve in the army in March 1865 (slaves had been used througout the
war as laborers, but not as soldiers).  Of course, by then it was too late
to help - Lee surrendered on April 9.  But it is significant in that it
was a defacto abolition of slavery, a fact fully appreciated by the
Confederate congress (and also the reason they didn't do it earlier when
it could have made a difference).  I don't know to what degree black
soldiers saw action fighting for the south in the final month of the war.

                 Blake P. Wood - bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU
                 Plasmas and Non-Linear Dynamics, U.C. Berkeley, EECS