[sci.military] Taiwan FFG upgrade

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (04/12/90)

From: xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng)
From: tzung@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Tzung I Lin)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.taiwan
Subject: new detailed article on Taiwan's PFG-2 frigate program

!In an article published in International Defense Review, March 1990, pp289-294
!a 5-page detail description on Taiwan's latest PFG-2 frigate was given in this
!special issue on corvette development worldround. Here I'll post its title and
!abstract for those who would like to see different things about Taiwan.
!
!Title : FFG-7 for Taiwan : Choice of a new Generation
!
!Abstract : Following years of indecision and expensive design studies, the
!	   Republic of China navy (ROCN) of Taiwan has finally embarked on an
!	   ambitious program to replace its force of ageing surplus US Navy
!	   frigates and destroyers over the next 12 years. The new construction 	   will not significantly alter fleet size or composition, which is
!	   fairly well established at around 24 major surface units, split
!	   between a high-low mix of anti-air warfare/anti-submarine warfare
!	   (AAW/ASW) labour division. Moreover, there are plans to build up to
!	   six ocean patrol submarines.
!
!The article covers not only the cost & construction, weapon systems, but also
!C3I, electronic warfare, combat control system, and survivability.
!It also covers the extended phase of the construction program known as FFG-2
!Block 2 (ACS) which is a improved version over the first phase (a batch of 6).
!The main focus on Block 2 is Advanced Combat System (ACS), together with
!vertical launch system (VLA) for firing SAMs, phased array radar and 2
!Phalanx CIWS (Close-In Weapon System).
!
!If anyone is interested in this article, go find it in your library if your
!school has subscription. The article also contains a speculative drawing
!of PFG-2 Block 2 frigate, together with a detailed drawing of PFG-2 Block 1.
!
!Tzung-I
!

I reposted this here becuase I though some might be interested.  Also beacuse I
haven't been able to get a hold of the original poster or a copy of the IDR in
the local library here.

I am curious if the US navy is planning an upgrad of the Oliver Hazard Perry
(OHP) class similar to the Block 2 upgrade the ROCN is contemplating.  The
advantages seem obvious (improved air defence capability which seems lacking in
the class).  It might be a nice add on becuase you could use the OHPs with VLS
to add to the missile pot that Ageis ships can then control.  The post does
mention that a phased array is being looked at so maybe it is a poor man's
Ageis system.

What does PFG stand for?  Patrol Frigate Guided missile?  I did check Jane's
(89-90) and all it said was that the US is allowing the ROCN to build 13 of the
OHP class.  It also says somewhere that Congress does not allow anyone to sell
them Harpoons.  What are they going to put on these things?  I somehow doubt
we'll be selling them SM2MRs.  They do have their own version of the Isreali
anti-ship missile but I don't know how good it is...the SM2MR are "multi-role"
aren't they?  SAMs with secondary anti-ship capability?

Enough said...thought this to be interesting as the OHP seems to be the most
plentiful ship in the fleet (have to recheck the order of battle) and the one
most likely to pull escort duty for convoys.  More than minimal anti-air
capability would be nice.

NT

BTW  I've been told that the Phalanx is a bolt on type of weapon that is
relativly cheap.  Why not mount more of them on the ships (ie: more than one
where you have to turn to give it a shot) and overlap the fire?  Do they
interfere with each other?  I also heard (love these rumors) that it has
trouble identifying friendlies...anyone know for sure?

        A| Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc. - xrtnt@csdr.gsfc.nasa.gov
     // m|
    //  i| Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.
 \X/    a| "Producing a system from specifications is like walking on water...