[sci.military] Depleted Uranium Ammo

jharkins@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Harkins) (04/10/90)

From: sagpd1!jharkins@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Harkins)

Is depleted uranium radioactive?  If so, how do they store it, both in ammo
dumps and on the A-10?  If it's not radioactive then isn't it just lead?
Excuse me if these seem stupid questions, but I would like to know.

[mod.note:  DU is "mildly" radioactive, being a fairly stable uranium
isotope.  Can any of you put a number to that "mildly" ? - Bill ]

jim

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

We are all aware of the high cost of alcohol abuse.  To help solve this problem
take this signature to your local liquor store for $1.00 off your next purchase.

drickter@BRL.MIL (04/12/90)

From:     drickter@BRL.MIL

In article <15378@cbnews.ATT.COM> sagpd1!jharkins@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Harkins) writes:

>From: sagpd1!jharkins@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Harkins)
>
>Is depleted uranium radioactive?  If so, how do they store it, both in ammo
>dumps and on the A-10? .....
>
>[mod.note:  DU is "mildly" radioactive, being a fairly stable uranium
>isotope.  Can any of you put a number to that "mildly" ? - Bill ]

based on dose rates (determined by uploading an M3A1 (cavalry fighting
vehicle (cfv) version of the bradley fighting vehicle system (bfvs)) the
two scouts in the rear of the vehicle would experience approximately 0.27
millirems per hour (mrem/hr) of gamma exposure, based on the stowage of
ammo, etc.  gamma radiation is considered the most harmful as it is able
to penetrate the skin and would most likely affect internal organs after
long term exposure.

also, the nuclear regulatory commission has established maximum safety
limits for the exposure to both gamma and beta radiation. (beta radiation
is a non-penetrating radiation and therefore presents only minimal
concern to those exposed.)  the gamma limit is 5000 mrem/yr.  so if you
figure out how long someone (soldier, etc) would be exposed to the
radiation per year, the dose rate is determined.  ie., if a solier spends
up to 1200 hrs in the rear of a cfv, he will have the potential of
receiving approx. 324 mrem/yr. (the number of hours are just made up !!)

this also answers a previous question as to du ammuntion for the bfvs.
yes, there is a new 25mm round which is du - M919.

the results above are from a first look at radiation levels within the
bfvs.  they may not be completely correct, but i think it gives an idea
of dose rates for 25mm ammo.  it must also be noted that 25mm ammo
is carried within the vehicle, close to its occupants.  this may not
be the case with other vehicles which utilize du ammo (ground or air).

donna hartka

oconnor@disney.crd.ge.com (Dennis O'Connor) (04/14/90)

From: oconnor@disney.crd.ge.com (Dennis O'Connor)
drickter@BRL.MIL writes :
] ...  gamma radiation is considered the most harmful as it is able
] to penetrate the skin and would most likely affect internal organs after
] long term exposure. ...
] ( beta radiation is a non-penetrating radiation and therefore presents
]   only minimal concern to those exposed.)

This directly contradicts my own knowledge of radiation from
physics classes and from working as a technician on gamma-ray camera
image processors in nuclear medicine clinics in the NYC area :

Alpha particles are the least dangerous form of radiation. Composed
of two protons and two neutrons, an alpha "particle" is essentially
an energetic helium nucleus. Because of it mass and charge, it is
stopped quickly : a layer of clothing stops most alpha particles.

Gamma radiation is the next least dangerous radiation, for exactly
the opposite reason as alpha particles. Gamma rays are energetic
photons (i.e. "light") between X-rayas and cosmic rays in the spectrum.
Most gamma rays will go right thru a human being without interacting
with him or her : this is a vital principle to gamma-ray cameras.
Gamma ray cameras work like this : a gamma-ray emitting isotope
( usually technicium ) in a selected compund is injected into a patient.
The compound is selected based on what is to be imaged. Different
compounds bind to different parts of the body ( like blood or bone ).
Imaging the location of the gamma-emitter provides diagnostic info.

Beta radiation consists of energetic electrons. These can be quite dangerous
since depending on the energy level, they will penetrate anywhere from
a centimeter to several centimeters. By way of contrast : no shielding
or restriction on personel where needed when gamma-ray imaging was
done, but patients recieving beta radiation therapy where isolated
in a room by themselves. Beta radiation can be stopped by an inch
of wood or so, and does not travel very far in air.

Last, Neutrons are very dangerous. They have no charge but are
relatively massive. Plus they seem to have an affinity for
stopping in organic material. More on them I don't know.

Remember : the most common radiation-related injury is sunburn.
Hard-UV is pretty nasty stuff.
  Dennis O'Connor      OCONNORDM@CRD.GE.COM      UUNET!CRD.GE.COM!OCONNOR
  "Let's take a little off the top ... a bit off the sides ...
    trim the back a bit ... Surprise ! You've been bald-ed !"