[sci.military] Soviet replenishment, was Re: Glory, strange tactics.

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (04/14/90)

From: Wes Morgan <morgan@ms.uky.edu>

In article <15390@cbnews.ATT.COM> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

>They didn't speculate on the reasoning behind the Soviet policy, but my guess
>is that it reflects 1) the higher cost of transport, and 2) Soviet need to
>minimize command-and-control complexity due to the relatively poor quality
>of their troops and officers.
>--
>      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

Don't forget the segregation of the Soviet armed forces.  You won't find
Uzbeks and Armenians in the same unit.  There are so many nationalities in
the Soviet Union (and so many national rivalries/hatreds), that the line
units are almost completely segregated.  For instance, it's the 17th Uzbek
Tank Battalion or the 21st Byelorussian Infantry.  It would be a major has-
sle to move the survivors of an Uzbek unit to wherever a surviving Uzbek
unit might be.......

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |